Friday, February 22, 2008

Lessons from the Scriptures

I had an epiphany today. You know how you read the scriptures and you are familiar with a story, but something totally new sticks out as if it hadn't been there all those other times that you've read it? I think that is the magic of the scriptures, and it happened to me today.

We were reading in Alma about when the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's want to live with the Nephites for protection. (Remember: They were the converted Lamanites that buried their weapons and covenanted with the Lord never to fight again. As a result, they were getting slaughtered by the other Lamanites and Amalakites. They needed somewhere to live that was safe.) Knowing that they had once gone to war against the Nephites and unrighteously killed and hurt many of their people, the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's said that they were willing to be the Nephite's slaves until they could forgive them. That's a pretty good lesson about repentance. It isn't enough to be sorry, we have to be willing to do whatever we can to make it right. I was touched by the humility of the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's and their continued desire to do what was right.

However, the overwhelming lesson to me was the Nephites response. They not only gave land to the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's, but they positioned their army to offer protection to the People of Ammon (new name) in the case that the Lamanites and Amalakites attacked.

That is the story, but as I thought about it, I was so moved. Sometimes, I just read the words. But, I wondered what it would be like for someone, or a huge group of people, who had personally attacked and damaged my family to tell me that they had repented, come to Christ, and now needed my help. What if someone killed my husband and forced me to be the sole provider for my family? What if someone hurt or killed one of my children? What if someone came in and brutally destroyed my home and took my possessions? How easy/difficult would it be to forgive? How easy/difficult would it be for me to believe in their "change of heart" and trust them after they had hurt me? How amazing that these Nephites not only forgave with a fullness of heart, but helped these refuges with a place to live and offer the protection of their own army.

It just made me ponder a bit on why it is so difficult for me to forgive? I should obviously try to be more like these Nephites, and accept people for their word, forgive, and (possibly the most difficult of all) reach out with love to help.

Hmmm......

4 comments:

Jen-ben said...

wow Em. You are so insightful! I love it! I really need to take more time and think about what I'm reading instead of just reading the words like you said. Thank you! you are inspiring as always!

Emily said...

I don't always take the time to think about it - that's why there's a complete blog post on the subject. :)

Lindsay said...

I had a "scripture epiphany" the other day, aren't they the best?

Kristy said...

Great post on forgiveness. Sometimes I feel like I'm better at forgiving the big offenses than the little, irritating, annoying ones.