Monday, February 4, 2008

I'm a Little "Off" Today

"Has anyone seen my hormones?"
Okay...I was obviously NOT ready to come home from Hawaii quite yet. I have been such a basket case the past couple of days. I just feel totally out of whack. Here are just a few examples:
  • I did the laundry today (this is typical - Monday is my Laundry Day). I got the laundry from the kid's rooms, emptied our luggage, separated the piles, and did several loads. I always fold after the kids are in bed. When I was done, I looked at Greg and said, "I think some of our clothes are missing." Then it hit me - I didn't get the clothes out of our laundry basket. What??? The sad thing is that we don't have enough clean underwear to get me to next Monday. Arghhh!
  • I put my old jeans on today and they were a little snug. Apparently, eating chocolate covered macadamia nuts every day isn't good for the butt. I'm always in a rotten mood when I inadvertently discover weight gain. Arghhh!
  • Greg came home and said, "You didn't go anywhere today." (It wasn't a question because it snowed until about 2:00 in the afternoon so it was quite apparent by the driveway.) Even though I had errands to run, I just couldn't bundle the girls up and go out in snow. He said, "You could have shoveled you know." Crazy Lady Interpretation: "You didn't do anything today. You're so lazy." Instead of getting it off my chest, I stewed as I made dinner and made a mental checklist of everything I accomplished, which sadly all had to do with housework or children. Arghhh!
  • Family Home Evening: I loathe FHE. It goes pretty well when we are playing a game or doing an activity, but any "real" teaching from the scriptures is just a nightmare! First of all, Monday night at 6:30/7:00 is not exactly the peak of my tolerance, patience, and Christlike love. Secondly, my kids don't listen to a *#@$ thing I say! I prepare a lesson from President Hinckley about civility (because nearly ALL of our FHE lessons have something to do with being nice to each other) and it ends with Greg yelling at our kids for not listening to "their mother." Arghhh!
  • Austin has been learning about Martin Luther King, Jr. at school, so I got him a book about his life and we read a chapter every night. My intention was to teach him about the injustice of that period of history and the evil of prejudice and segregation, and the power that one man has to inspire change. Good intentions, right? Well, I think I've inadvertently introduced him to prejudice that he never knew existed. During FHE (see above bullet point), we talked about seeing similarities in people and not differences. I pointed out that he and Macy are different - he is a boy and she is a girl. I told him that they have a lot in common, too and asked him to tell me some of their similarities (I was hoping for more intrinsic answers: they are both children of Heavenly Father, they are both kids in our family, they both like to laugh, etc). Instead, he said they both had blonde hair and (kind of whispering) "white skin." What have I done? Arghhh!
  • I recorded a movie that was on TV a couple of night ago with our handy Tevo. (Like I said above, Monday nights are full of at least a couple of hours of folding laundry, so I always like to have something to watch.) Apparently, the movie went over the allotted 2 hours so Tevo cut off the last 5-10 minutes of the movie. Arghhh!
  • My kids argue and fight ALL THE TIME! Seriously, we had Macy to give Austin a playmate. He didn't want one! What were we thinking! I just don't know what to do about this. It makes me crazy! Arghhh!

These are dumb things to gripe about. Sorry! I know that people have real problems. I just didn't feel like myself today. If anything, I'm really just frustrated with myself that I couldn't handle all these simple, everyday situations in a more patient, kind, loving manner. Oh well...tomorrow's another day.

The two highlights of my day: my hair and my husband's derriere. My hair was a nightmare in Hawaii. No matter how hard I tried, I could not win the battle against the humidity. So, in every picture, I've got hideous, big, 80s hair. Every time I walked by a mirror today, I thought "My hair looks really good today!" Secondly, Greg got quite a bit of sun in Hawaii. I decided that I really like him with a little color. But he took off his shirt and bottoms tonight, and he has the whitest rear end. We both just started laughing hysterically. Sorry to laugh at your expense, honey, but thanks for making my day!

5 comments:

Greg said...

I think a week of vacation has it detriments. I do not know how many times I have found myself staring at my computer monitor trying to get motivated to work. I think I have blacked out a few times wishing I were still in Hawaii. I even found myself Google Earth’ing Kauai and looking at the satellite views of the island.

Honey, Austin will be fine. We should have used my body as a teaching tool for integration. Brown is beautiful and whities can be such asses sometimes.

As for the joking snow shovel comment. There is no excuse for it and I am very sorry. I know how much you do for our family and I would shovel 2 feet of snow (morning and night) not to trade you responsibilities.

Well, gotta get back to staring at my computer monitor and hovering my hands over the keyboard as if I am about to work…

Elizabeth said...

I love you Emily! Reading your blog always brightens my day....as Greg's rear end did for you. You are so real and I relate to you more than you ever could know. I know that is why we are so close. I just love you....

BTW Steve and I call those the post-vacation blues. We get them everytime.

Kimberly Porter said...

Sorry, Em, but this post made me laugh more than anything! :) And the only reason I laughed is because I totally relate! I hope you have a better day ahead of you.

La Toya said...

Hi,
I just wanted to comment on Austin's comment about "white skin." I don't think you should be alarmed. Kids see in color like everyone else. :-)
Joshua and Rachel used to call me the brown lady or something..... not a big deal.

When you gonna post pictures of Hawaii?

Jen-ben said...

OK, the white butt thing really got me laughing. No shame. I think the whole coming home thing really can be a bit overwhelming. It's like we were in college again, then wham, you have 3 kids. What the..??!!