Thursday, February 21, 2008

Kind of Creeping Me Out

Macy has become obsessed with death. She talks about it almost daily. It's been going on for about three weeks now. She isn't necessarily scared or worried about it, but she is very curious. I try to be very matter-of-fact and nonchalant, but it's really starting to freak me out a little. She asks me if she is going to die (or me, Paige, Grandma, etc.). I tell her that we are all going to die. Sometimes she asks why, and I tell her that it is just a part of life; we are all born, and we are all going to die. Sometimes she asks where she'll go, and I tell her to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Then, she asks if she'll live again. I always tell her that she will be resurected. This is our conversation today while we were in the car, driving to dance class:

Macy: Mom, am I going to die and then live again?
Me: Yes.
Macy:...just like Jesus.
Me: Yes. You will be resurrected just like Jesus.
Macy: Is Jesus going to die again?
Me: No. You only die once.
Macy (after a few seconds of silence): Mom, I want to see Jesus.
Me: So do I.
Macy: No. I really, really want to see Jesus.

Am I handling this wrong? I thought that if I was just very direct, the questioning would go away. It's kind of starting to get to me.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

No, you're not handling it wrong. I think you're doing great. It would start to worry me too.

Michelle Arnett said...

AH, that's a hard one. I am affraid I will face that someday with my kids too. I think you are doing great. Some kids are just very sensitive about death. I was as a kid.

Jana said...

Hi, Emily! Thanks for inviting me to your blog, it's fun. Good job at least doing the first two weeks on south beach! I just had to comment on this one because Emma is OBSESSED with death and has been for a really long time. She thinks it's cool. Her Barbies die all the time. The other day one barbie was "sacrificing" the other one. But actually I don't think she knows that that means death. But anyway, she also said the other night that she really wants to see Jesus, but just because she loves him so much. She almost cried! Anyway, I don't think the obsession with death is anything to worry about, even though sometimes I do. Sometimes I think it's more embarrassing than anything...yes, my daughter's barbies die on a regular basis.