Friday, February 29, 2008

A Few Milestones

WARNING: This post contains A TON of pictures. I just couldn't pick just a few.

Paige has decided to walk. She's actually been taking steps since about the middle of January. It started out with just one or two, and then a fall. For the past few weeks, she'll walk to and from furniture (from chair to chair, or couch to table - as long as she has a destination). Sometimes, she'd let go of something and start walking (maybe 5 or 6 steps) and realize that she was walking, stop, carefully get back into crawling position, and take off. But...this week she decided that she can do it. She walks everywhere! She also loves to carry things like her baby, an empty bottle, a water bottle, etc. She tucks it under her right arm and off she goes. However, she refused to hold anything when the camera was out.

Action Shot (notice the baby doll that she was carrying, but dropped as soon as she saw the camera.):

Love that tongue, baby!
I remember my mom telling me that when her babies started to walk, she was finally able to start to let go of them a little - she didn't feel completely "connected at the hip (or breast)" with her newborn anymore. It's true, and a little sad really. But, this stage is just a blast. Even though I didn't necessarily choose to have my kids three years apart, this is one of those hidden blessings. Just about the time when your other "baby" is growing up, becoming an expert at back-talk, and wanting to be everything "grown up," I have the most funny, curious, happy little toddler to brighten my day.

When Paige wakes up, she just talks to herself in her crib and starts her music on her mobile. She squeals with delight whenever she sees any of us. She gives "loves" (sweet hugs) and kisses (she says "Mmmmm..." and then licks your cheek or touches your cheek with her lips). She loves her baby, going up and down the stairs, and food! She's my greatest eater (and she never complains or says "I don't like that" before she even knows what we're having for dinner). She loves the bath and splashing. She loves her shoes and tries to put them on her feet. She lives for emptying the Tupperware drawer, the silverware out of the dishwasher, or all of the books off the bookshelf. She loves taking the magnets off the fridge and putting them back on. She loves to look underneath things (tables, beds, the refrigerator). It is hilarious to watch. She gets her entire body down on the ground and peers underneath to find things. She climbs up to the piano, reaches as high as she can, and plinks the keys. She sings "ABC's" and "EIEIO" - not really, but she makes the inflections. She claps, jumps up and down, and squeals when I put on Baby Einstein Neighborhood Animals. I could go on and on (obviously). We just love her to pieces!
Giving "loves" to her baby:
Austin finally learned how to tie his shoes (he will be seven in July). He needed new school shoes, so I bought him some with laces. He wanted the ones with Spiderman that light up and have wheels. But, I promised him he could pick out any sandals he wants this summer, but I get to pick school shoes (mostly because I was trying to get him away from velcro). This is the third pair this year - he is so tough on his shoes (the first one didn't really count - I went way too cheap). Anyway...it took a couple of days, but he learned and he is doing great! Now if we can only teach him to ride a bike. :)Macy is just Macy. She's 3 going on 15, complete with all the hormones, mood swings, tender feelings, and short temper. We still love her, and I guess we'll keep her...for now.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ohhh, your kids are so cute! Especially Paige, what a little beauty, such a fun age. I hope Lucy likes baby dolls!

Jen-ben said...

Macy looks BEAUTIFUL in that last photo!!! I am loving those photos of Austin tying his shoes SO much!! I still haven't taught Maddie....I'm so lame! And of course, all the pics of Paige are priceless.

Amber said...

What great pictures! I'm amazed at how good you are (I guess it helps to have such an awesome tutor!). I love the black and white of Paige, and the close-ups of Austin and his shoes.

And don't you love how busy and productive you sound when you blog about all the things you've taught your kids?!!

Alexie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexie said...

So have you and Lisa noticed how Paige looks like her baby pictures (especially the 5th one down). You should get out the old pics and compare.

Elizabeth said...

man your kids are so stinkin' beautiful! Really! It's so fun to see them getting so big. Paige looks way bigger to me.

paige said...

I love your milestone updates, I feel like I see your kids all the time even though I haven't seen them in months! They never fail to make me smile & laugh, while you never fail to amaze me as a mother. You are so creative & they are luck to have you!

Michelle Arnett said...

These are great pictures! Your kids are sooo cut.