Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2001

I guess it is like when Kennedy was shot or when man first stepped on the moon (although I was not born when either of those events happened), but I hear people say that they will never forget where they were when it happened.  I do remember watching the launch of the Challenger Spaceship.  I was sitting in 3rd grade with Mrs. Middlemas.  (You spell her name like "Beginning...Middle...Ending" and it ends with "mas" just like the end of "Christmas" - that's how she taught us.  Isn't it strange the things that we choose to remember.)  I remember sitting in her class watching the old TV on a metal stand and watching her race from her desk up to the front of the room to turn the knobs as fast as she could to try to turn it off.  But, it was too late.  Third grade...nine years old...It was the first time I remember witnessing tragedy.
  *     *     *
Greg called me just after he got to work and asked if I was watching TV.  I said, "No," and he told me to turn it on.  I flipped on Matt Lauer and Katie Couric on the Today Show just after the first plane struck and everybody still thought it was a terrible accident.  I was sitting on the couch with my 2-month-old baby boy in the bassinet.  I talked to Greg for a while so he could catch me up on the story.  Then, he hung up and I continued to watch.  Then, I remember watching the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower.  I'm pretty sure that I gasped audibly although nobody was there to hear it.  All of the theories started pouring in as reports from the Pentagon, Pennsylvania, and various airports started emerging.  Then...I watched the first tower fall.  I picked up my sweet, innocent, perfect little baby (even though he was sleeping) and I just held him and sobbed.  It was a very emotional day for me (and millions of other Americans) as I watched my beloved New York fall to pieces...literally.  

Greg came home early; I got reports from Lisa about friends that we knew in New York and some that even worked in the World Trade Center; I held my baby all day and wondered what kind of a world he was being given.  Six weeks later, I went to New York with my sweet little baby and saw Ground Zero - still smoldering.  It was a very humbling, sad, and gratifying experience.  I've always found New Yorkers incredibly hospitable, but this time was different.  We got on the Subway with my 4-month-old and my friend's two toddlers, and rows would be cleared immediately, several people helped us with our strollers, and all was done with a smile and a "God bless" (and sometimes a kiss on either cheek - I love New Yorkers!).  Incidentally, when I moved back to Utah, it took me a while to break the kissing habit.  I often caught myself when I would go to kiss someone's cheek only to realize that they didn't know the custom and I would come off incredibly "forward."  Sometimes I wish we all greeted each other with two kisses.  Wouldn't that be a great world?!?

I tried to find an image to accompany this post, but it was too difficult for me to look at them.  I get very emotional whenever I hear "God Bless America," and I am aware of our vulnerability.  It makes me realize that all we can do is trust in God, have faith in His plan and in His son, Jesus Christ, and live a happy, fulfilling life instead of give in to fear.  Thank you to all of you who have bravely fought for our country.  Thank you to all of you who are still fighting for our life, liberty, and freedom.  Thank you to all of the families that have sacrificed a son, daughter, father, mother, husband, wife - some for a few years of honorable service and some have made the ultimate sacrifice.  Thank you to all of you that go to work every day with the sole purpose to keep my family safe.  I was touched today as a policeman knelt down in a bookstore to help me with my toddler.  He then held the door for me as I left with books and baby in tow.  A small gesture, but a good reminder that you are there...to help.  Thank you and know that I am keenly aware of blessings and freedoms that I have because of what you do.  I feel a heavy responsibility to teach this gratitude and legacy to my children.  Thank you and God Bless.    

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Is that kissing on the cheek a New York thing? I hadn't seen my brother who lived in New York in over 12 years (long story) and now when we see him and his girlfriend they always kiss our cheeks. I feel like a rude idiot because I'm totally not expecting it.

Amber said...

Liz had a similar post on her blog. The day of the attacks, I was in school at the U, and my first class was at 9 am. I was late, as usual, and didn't notice the TV in the room and everyone's stunned expressions at first. I finally caught on, and watched the TV thinking, why are we watching a plane crash in a philosophy class?? I finally had to ask, "Am I the only one who doesn't know what's going on?" After getting a very hushed explanation, I watched in horror along with every one else. Classes were canceled the rest of the day. I called my roommate (now my sister-in-law) on my way home, and told her to come home. We watched the news all day and cried together, wondering, how could anyone do this to US?? WHY?? I also remember talking to my mom on the phone, and worrying with her when she couldn't reach my aunt, how lived in NJ at the time. I didn't have to work for a week, because Discover Card was owned by Morgan Stanley then, and there were a bunch of people killed in their office in the World Trade Center.

Even though the tragedy was far away geographically, the attack seemed so personal and close to home because America is my home! Liz said she was in a bubble in the MTC, and I really felt like my bubble had burst that day. I no longer felt safe and like our country was invincible. I no longer thought terrorism just happened in third world countries. I no longer had faith that if you lived a good life you would be spared tragedy and heartache. But it was so incredible to see everyone come together as a nation. People risked their lives to save others. Everyone was a little kinder. And we proved that we could overcome and we wouldn't give in to fear!

We're still facing the effects of those attacks so many years ago, trying to overcome ignorance and hatred. And think how airline travel has changed! I did my study abroad starting the January after the attack. Travel was a nightmare, especially coming back into the US! I had to take off my shoes, and had my carry-on luggage sniffed by a very ferocious dog!!

Thanks for letting me ramble. It is a day I will never forget.

Brian and Kim said...

I still get cold chills everytime I see a replay of that day. I was at work trying to get the surgeries started that morning (getting meds and iv's the docs) and it was so hard to concentrate on work. And when the buildings fell, I felt so along in a room full of people. It was so awful. It made me very grateful for the my testimony and my family.

Kristy said...

Your stories about New Yorkers are warming my heart. I'm also thankful for people who work for the safety of others. The paramedics saved both my life and the life of my baby one day. A couple of weeks later, they all came back by the house to give Mary a baby gift and to see how we were doing. Every time I see an ambulance now, it's weird, but I feel so grateful for firemen, paramedics, police officers who work for the safety of people they don't know. I always think of that when I think of September 11th.