Saturday, September 27, 2008

Indian Summer - A Potpourri of Thoughts

Summer Fun/Filth:
Wasn't today absolutely perfect!  My kids spent every second of it outside as if they can sense that they need to squeeze every ounce out of summer because cold is right around the corner.  Let me just show you how much Macy enjoyed it (the pictures don't do it justice - black was dripping off of her in the tub):
Things to Notice: Dirt across forehead and both cheeks, 10 BLACK fingers, 10 filthy toes, one bleeding stubbed toe, snap undone on skirt, zipper down, hair - enough said, and you can't smell through the computer - but just think of "Summer Kid Smell" (a combination of soil and maple syrup), and don't my begonias look gorgeous!
10 minutes to sunset and 2 minutes to bath-time (still so adorable):
GROSS:

Just to show you that my children do, occasionally, bathe, here are some pictures that I took for my photo class.  I know that they are "posed" and not nearly as interesting to me as "capturing the moment," but they do look clean!  (Paige needs a new backdrop - too much blue.  But, honestly, I didn't think she would sit on that stool for 2 seconds!)

Some Fun Images:
My mom and her sisters went to Escalante and brought back "Vintage Heaven".  They salvaged all they could.  Apparently, when I was a little girl, I asked one of my great-uncle's for an antique dresser.  My adorable mother remembered and rewarded my snottiness by bringing home the dresser and stunning mirror.  Now I need to learn how to refinish wood so they can come into the house from the garage.  They brought home old dishes, spice cans, chairs, furniture, kitchen utensils, etc.  It was pretty neat!  These are two pictures of some of the antiques that I turned in as my "Texture" assignment for my class.  One is an amazing glass, layered dish.  I LOVE the colors.  The other is a small box of old thread (about 50 years old).  Aren't they fabulous!
We had an assignment in juxtaposition, or a comparison of contrast.  I wanted to take a picture of some of our garden goods, so I came up with this picture.  Greg was just shocked and thrilled that I actually purchased Twinkies!  (I do want to reach into the picture and straighten the plate with the veggies.  Arggg!)


Women's Conference:
Maddie, Alexie, my mom, and I went down to the Conference Center for General Relief Society Meeting tonight.  I have actually never been to a session in the Conference Center.  It is amazing!  My brother drove us down, and we got stuck in traffic, so we got out of the car in the middle of the street at a stoplight (a few people honked - I like to think that it is because we looked so dang hot and not because we were being illegal) and booked it to the Conference Center.  A few highlights for me:
  • Cell phone shots!  I was concentrating so hard on holding my head out so I wouldn't have three chins.  

  • Chocolate cake for dessert and my mom paid the babysitter (thanks Mom).  Go Utes, right honey?!?
  • Chatting with Maddie on the way home about what to do with your life when you are 19.  My opinion is that this is the only time that is really hers.  She is an adult and doesn't have to answer to my parents, but she isn't married yet.  I love being married, but your focus definitely changes to "us" instead of "me" (as well it should!).  I think she should live, and do the things she wants to do right now.  She is so adorable, and we just love her to pieces.  I hope she can figure out her "calling."
  • I love singing with such a huge group.  It was incredible to me as we all stood and sang "Now Let Us Rejoice."  There is just something about adding your voice to thousands of others.  I felt a direct kinship with everyone in that building.  I enjoy the choirs okay, but I wish we sang more together.
  • Being in the same room as a Prophet of God.  Even though President Monson didn't speak and I was so far up that I could hardly see him, there is just something about being in His presence.  He had on this very cool grey suit, and I can just feel the love that radiates from him.  When I lived in New York, I remember my Branch President saying that we should, "walk, run, even crawl if necessary, do whatever it takes to be in the presence of the Prophet."  How true is that statement!  
  • Sister Beck tells it like it is.  I can tell that she loves us and appreciates us, but she lets us know that we need to take it up a notch.  I think it is so refreshing to hear her be so brutally honest.
  • I was incredibly humbled as I thought about five days straight on a bus, four borders, three days in the Mesa temple, five days straight on a bus, crackers and margarine to eat, waiting 26 years for a temple closer to home.  I will be in the temple Tuesday morning at 6 a.m.  Anyone want to join me?
  • I love Elder Uchrdorf!  I was so inspired by his talk.  My favorite quote of the night: "I believe that as you immerse yourselves in the work of our Father, as you create beauty, and as you are compassionate to others, God will encircle you in the arms of His love.  Discouragement, inadequacy, and worry-ness will give way to a life of meaning, grace, and fulfillment.  As spirit daughters of our Heavenly Father, happiness is your heritage...You are choice daughters of our Heavenly Father, and through the things you create and by your compassionate service, you are a great power for good.  You will make the world a better place."
  • My new mantra: "Lift up your chin!  Walk tall!  God loves you!"
One More Thing:
Oh yeah - I got bit by a dog today...Seriously...It wasn't just a little nip, it was a bite!  I was dropping off the Sacrament Meeting insert for tomorrow, and the girl was trying to keep her dog inside by using her legs.  She was struggling, so I put my leg up to help and the dog bit me!  It hurt for about an hour.  It didn't draw blood, but it's been about six hours and you can still see the imprints of the dogs teeth on my ankle.  Pretty sure it's going to bruise.  My dad thinks I need a tetanus shot.  Do I?  Colette, aren't you the expert on dog bites?  What do you think? 

5 comments:

Jen-ben said...

That is a perfect way to describe you...a potpourri of thoughts. Always.
This lighting on Macy's face is so sweet...loving it!

Jen-ben said...

p.s. good work on the edge burner!

Jana said...

I love those photos, they are so pleasing to the eye!
Your kids are dang cute. I saw you told Jen she should come get priceless pics of Macy but you totally have a bunch right here! Those lying on the grass ones are awesome!!

Jan said...

I am so glad you guys finally went to the conference center! We have been a few times and all of my kids love it and always want to go back. A couple of years ago we took Tyler and Rachel to a session, and during the closing song, Rachel asked if she could go to the bathroom. I told her it was almost over, and she just exclaimed, No-o-o!. She was so sad it was over and Tyler's reaction was the same. It was a Saturday afternoon session, and Tyler so wanted to go to more, so we grabbed a snack and Dale and Tyler got into the Priesthood session. Mind you, this is a 13-year old boy. They always ask if we can go down for conference. Love ya!
Aunt Jan

Lindsay said...

Love your photo's. Where are you taking classes?