Saturday, October 13, 2007

Austin Got Hit By A Car - Seriously

So, Austin was with Grandma Burr yesterday (she took them to McDonald's). He got out of the car, and Grandma told him to wait by the car while she got everyone else out of the car. Well...he decided that he wanted to see the Halloween decorations on the McDonald's window. He took off across the street. A lady was pulling out and ran into him. Luckily - no, I'm sure there was no luck - Thankfully, she was just pulling out so she wasn't going very fast. She got out of the car and apologized, saying that she didn't see him. He's fine, but he told Grandma not to "tell his Mom." She didn't; she whispered it to Greg as she was leaving.

First of all, I am so grateful that he is okay. Maybe it was the 6 hours that Greg and I spent in the temple yesterday morning. (On a side note: It was our Stake Temple Day. We had several assignments, and Greg and I did a session, sealings, and initiatories. Grandma Burr came down to watch the kids because the session started at 6:00 a.m. It really was a wonderful morning. Usually, I don't do all the ordinances every time I attend the temple. It was such a wonderful reminder of all the blessings that we have been given as long as we're faithful. It was quite powerful to hear the blessings back-to-back.)

Secondly, I don't know why he was afraid to tell me - he should have been afraid to tell his dad. We were with Austin last week and he tore across the parking lot to the door of the restaurant. A suburban was pulling out and nearly hit him. Greg ripped into him (although he did deserve it).

Finally, I hope it scared him to death. Not that I would ever wish my child to get run over by a car, but he doesn't listen to us. The problem is that he thinks he's invincible. I've tried to explain that if he were behind the van, I wouldn't be able to see him because he is too short. He says that he'll just do a Tae Kwon Do kick and jump away. Since he won't listen to us, I sure hope this puts some fear into his little body.

Funny story:
A couple years ago, Austin ran into the street when a big suburban was backing out (this time it was much closer than the suburban last week). I guess suburbans have it out for him. He was looking down and didn't see it coming. I screamed, it scared him, and he ran back to me. I explained that he's just a little boy and a big car could crush him. A few days later he said, "Mom, remember when that big suburban almost hit me and killed me?" I said, "Yes." Then he said (very thoughtfully), "If I died, I would go to heaven and live with Jesus." I said, "Yes." Still very thoughtfully, he said, "Well...don't you want me to live with Jesus?" I guess I should have so much faith!

2 comments:

paige said...

Poor Austin - & poor you! How many run-ins can one kid have?

Jen-ben said...

OK, I love this story. One day he's going to get an ear full of all of these stories!