Thursday, March 27, 2008

Some Thoughts...

Movie Night:
Greg rented "Dan in Real Life" last night. I've been wanting to see this for a long time, and I really loved it. This is a movie I would actually buy. (I officially "own" four movies: The Fugitive, It's a Wonderful Life, Little Women, and Princess Bride - two of which are on VHS. So, you can see how important it is to me to own movies.) I really liked the last line of the movie. He states that we should tell our kids to be prepared - prepared for surprises. Paige woke up twice during the movie, and I got her up the second time. She was so funny. She just played with the telephone (she actually called someone at 11:50 - sorry if it was you), and wandered back and forth between Greg and myself. She is so lucky to be the third child. Poor Austin! I was thinking that if this would have been my first baby, I would have been extremely annoyed that he had "ruined" our evening together. But with Paige, we just enjoyed a little one-on-one with her. We paused the movie if she wanted to "chat." She loved to sit on our laps and just hang out. I wish I could just enjoy being with Austin more. I wish I could just relax with him.

My Kids and My Lack of Patience:
I remember a few years ago, when I was attending a Water Aerobics Class on a regular basis, our instructor told us all about her daughter's Parent/Teacher Conference. She said her husband attended, and when he came home, she asked, "How was it." His response was, "Well, it wasn't much of a conference. All I heard was 'Alexis is wonderful. Alexis is reading two grades above grade level. I wish I had a whole class full of Alexis's'." I think about that often. How would that be? How would it be to have the teacher look at another parent after class and ask if they could speak with them? How would it be to have a child actually follow instructions? Today, it was Macy and dance class. It was an absolute disaster! The teacher asked me to stay in the car next time, but I don't think it will work. Then, the teacher said, "I guess she just has a mind of her own." How many times have I heard that phrase! Why can't they have a mind of their own AND follow instructions?!? She really wanted to take dance lessons, but maybe I should just wait until she's 10, then she can pay for them if she wastes the teacher's time.

A Few Words on Blogging:
I was having a conversation with my sister a couple of weeks ago about how some people (women especially) have this need to be perfect, or at least "appear" perfect. We talked about this impossible quest often makes people crazy - literally. We all have demons that haunt us, weaknesses, temptations, etc. My need for this has led anxiety, loss of sleep, overeating, and general grumpiness because I failed - of course! I am not perfect! But, then again, none of us are. My Grandpa used to say to me, "You're no better than anyone else; but your no worse either." Sometimes, I think of that book, "Everybody Poops" (also featured in "Dan in Real Life") when I see someone that "appears" to have it all. Is that weird/gross? Oh well...it helps me put everyone on the same, level playing field.

My point is that blogging helps me overcome this impossible quest. It is very therapeutic to write about the joys, funny experiences, and the difficult moments in my life. It is also extremely therapeutic to me to read about other people's experiences. I've found that, although we are all on different levels, our lives are very similar. We all have great days where we actually succeed as mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, neighbors, and friends. We all have those moments of extreme frustration where we really can't see our way out of the pit. And we all have those moments that make us laugh, and in turn, they make other people laugh. So...thank you for helping me be more content with my life. Thank you for letting me cry with you through your struggles. And thank you so much for making me laugh when I've needed it.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I love reading your blog! I always admire how honest you are about your life- your struggles with your kids, your weight, being patient, feeling inadequate, etc. I think it's very positive to be able to admit "publicly", on a private blog ,that your life ISN'T perfect. It would be so much less stressful to just assume that no one else is perfect, and no one expects us to be perfect either!

You have a really good balance on your blog- you vent your frustrations, but you also write such wonderful posts about how amazing your kids and life are. You inspire me, seriously!

Jen-ben said...

You inspire me TOO! I have also been thinking a lot about the entire perfectionist thing....Sometimes it just seems hard to be a mormon woman, like we have to do EVERYTHING and do it well. But the fact is we don't. We just don't. And that's that. All the God asks is that we do our best and that we are who we were meant to be. I know that I was not meant to be a great organizer when it comes to my house. So why even worry about it. Ok, I won't. (but...I still do)
It's very late...and if I read this in the morning I'm sure I won't remember or understand any of it.
ssshhhh...sleep.

Jackie said...

First to comment on Dan in Real Life. My favorite line of the movie is when his daughter is running after her boyfriend and looks at her dad (Dan) and screams "You're a murderer of Love!" Cracked me up. So dramatic. I'm sure my daughter will be the same way...

I love reading your blog also. You are always so insightful. Makes me feel inferior at times because I don't think on that "level." :-)

Emily said...

Greg would call that the "crazy" level. Whenever I start out with, "I've been thinking..." he just rolls his eyes and says, "Here we go." It's nice to have an outlet so I don't have bug my husband all the time.

Jana said...

I just wanted to comment that I LOVE Dan in Real Life and my favorite line is "You...are a MURDERER of LOVE!!" That girl cracked me up.