Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Good Read

I just finished reading "The Lord Looketh on the Heart: Viewing Others with Christlike Compassion" by Max & Bette Molgard. My mom gave me a stack of books because I am giving a talk in church on Sunday about the Atonement. This book only had two paragraphs that actually mention the Atonement, but I really enjoyed the read. It is only 100 pages and is filled with stories. Some of the stories were a little cheesy (a husband and wife wrote it so I don't know if they wrote the stories about each other or if they referred to themselves in third person - that was a little annoying), but the overall feel of the book was wonderful! There are probably some chapters that I should read weekly. They just gave a lot of ideas about how we can see others from Christ's point of view rather than from our own limited, often judgemental point of view. The ideas in this book will just help me be more loving and act in a more loving way to people - especially people that I don't understand. Unfortunately, the book may be out of print (I could not find a picture of it), but there are several copies at the library.
A couple of my favorite quotes:

"Obedience is a powerful spiritual medicine. It comes close to being a cure-all" (Boyd K. Packer).

"If we could look into each other's hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us face, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care" (Marvin J. Ashton).

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Great thoughts. Thank you!

Lindsay said...

Thank you, I love a spiritual uplift in the day.

Brian and Kim said...

I am going to have to read this book. I love the picture!!! I love reading your blog. You always have such great insight and a great spirit with you always. Thanks!!:)

Jackie said...

I am so excited for church on Sunday now! Can't wait to hear your talk!

Anonymous said...

Great quotes! Something I could work on, for sure.