Thursday, May 8, 2008

So Dumb

Okay...so my doctor called last week and told me I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is in the same viral strain as Mono...and I feel so dumb. The nurse actually called, and I took the call during a piano lesson, so I was just really quick about it. My first reaction was to just ignore it (which is generally my first reaction to most medical issues). I didn't even tell Greg for a few days. I really wanted to ignore it because the parents of a friend of mine in High School got this, and they were practically debilitated. They really couldn't function. The father couldn't even work, and they couldn't take care of their home or cook dinner or take care of their kids or anything. It was really strange, and my first reaction was that absolutely can't happen to me (so I'll just ignore it)!

I've been feeling so tired and irritable lately. I kind of feel like I still have a two-month-old - exhausted and emotional. Paige started really sleeping through the night last August, but I still haven't recovered. Anyway...I was at the doctor last week and told him about this, so he did some blood work. I really didn't think they would find anything, but these are the results. It's just very weird. Since it's viral, there really isn't anything they can do about it. The nurse sent me some paperwork, and I'm supposed to stop smoking, stop drinking, eat healthy, and exercise. That isn't extremely helpful. Although I'm not a health freak, and I know I could be healthier, I think I do a pretty good job (except for my sweet tooth). When I told Greg, he just groaned. He thinks we already eat too healthy; the prospect of me cooking even more healthy worries him.

So, I guess I'll just go back to my first reaction - ignore it! I've actually caught myself being more patient with my kids, and a little less irritable, simply because I can't let this be my excuse. (Did I mention my extreme stubbornness!).

8 comments:

Tera said...

Em,
Don't you feel a little better when there really is an answer to the tiredness? I know when they told me me thyroid was weird, I was like, oh, I thought I was feeling more tired! Duh! Glad you got an answer, hope you can feel better soon!

Lindsay said...

Take care of yourself!

La Toya said...

Did they know how long this typically will last?

Laura said...

Yes, please take care and if there's anything I can do please, let me know. I'm just a couple of houses away and happy to do what I can. :)

Alexie said...

Which doctor and why were you there in the first place? :o)

Andee said...

But you do have an excuse, and a great one. Please keep us updated. I hope it doesn't get really bad, Emily! Gosh that stinks...

Jackie said...

If you ever need me to watch the kids so that you can rest- please just ask! I would love to help you out.

Emily said...

Thanks for everything. I'm actually a horrible napper, and I can count on one hand the number of naps I've taken in my adult life. I never wake up feeling rested, and then I can't sleep at night. My mom said I was like this from the time I was born. I didn't nap great, but I always went to bed easily at night. I just need to go to bed earlier, I guess.

Latoya: Apparently, this virus never completely leaves your body, so I'm not sure what that means exactly. But, the nurse did say that the blood work inidicated that I'm on the downside. So...kind of ambiguous.

Nosey-bones (my sister): I was at Doctor Hansen's office to get my IUD taken out because it just wasn't working for me. So, while I was there, he did some blood work. I'm not pregnant! Then, I would have a good excuse for being tired and emotional. :)