Wednesday, July 30, 2008

So Many Tears!

So, we made it three whole days without a phone call from Austin's teacher.  But, at 4:00 this afternoon, the inevitable happened.  There's no need to ask "What" because "The usual" will be my response.  Couldn't control his mouth (talking when the teacher is giving instructions or constantly making little spitting or popping noises), constantly left his seat, "bugging" other students.  (People always say "hitting" but what they really mean is touching, poking, pointing to things they are doing, touching pencils, etc.)  His teacher was pretty positive during our discussion, but she did end with: "Well, I'll try this for a week or two, but if things don't get better, I'll need to have a meeting with you, Austin, the Principal, and the District ALPS Coordinator."  Great!

After I got off the phone with her, I just kept thinking, "Is he really that difficult?"  I know he has always had a ton of energy, and he does struggle in social situations, but is he really that strange?  Is he weird?  Is he really so "different"?  I guess I think of children I know, and he doesn't seem so extreme to me.  
We also had Back-To-School Night.  We showed up a little late because he had an appointment to get his permanent cast on, so we had to sit in the back of the cafeteria and we could not hear a thing (neither could anyone around us)!  I explained to Austin that I was bored too, and that I couldn't hear anything either, but this was a good opportunity to practice controlling his body.  He did great!  The kids all around us were extremely rowdy (one kid was pounding his fist on a folding chair, and the 5 kids behind us were playing with trucks all over the chairs, etc.).  Not that I'm judging; I was just thinking: "See...He's not that difficult.  He can hold still and be good.  He's normal, just like all these other kids."  

When we got into the classroom, the teacher was explaining things to the parents, so he was bored.  Again...I think he did a pretty good job at occupying his brain and not being disruptive.  When the teacher was done, all the parents stood up and went to hand their papers into her.  We were at the end of the line because I had brought some ideas that I thought of after our discussion earlier in the afternoon.  There were a couple of kids from his class, and he completely lost it.  He greeted them with a karate chop in front of their face, his voice volume turned up several decibels, and started running and knocked some papers over.  The thing that really got me is that the teacher said she was going to "talk" to the rest of the class about how to act in front of Austin.  She also said, "We'll get through this.  It will be a good challenge for me and a good learning experience."  What!?!  Is this really the most difficult, challenging student she's EVER had?  How is that possible?  

Maybe something really is wrong with him?  I don't want him to be "weird" or "strange."  I don't want the other kids to ostracize him or think that they are "being nice" to be his friend.  I don't want all the mom's in the neighborhood to think that it is a sacrifice on their part for him to play with their kids.  If something really is wrong, then it has been here since birth.  Is this part of his spirit, or is this a physical trial for him?  It must be so extremely frustrating for him to always think of himself as the "Bad Kid" (his words today).  It must be embarrassing to always have to sit by himself instead of with other kids.  It must be maddening to know the rules and not be able to follow them (at least in social situations).  Why on earth did Heavenly Father trust me to figure it out?  
Just this weekend, my father-in-law was talking about his sister-in-law (his brother's wife).  She's a raging hypochondriac, but probably does actually suffer from some of the ailments.  She and her husband are "Ideal Mormons."  He taught at BYU, and all of their kids and grandkids have made the "right" choices, and they spend all their free time writing volumes (I'm not exaggerating) of genealogy.  I guess she constantly makes the comment that some people have trials with their health and other people have trials with their children, and they are grateful that their trials are health and not children.  It infuriates my father-in-law.  He says, "As if you have a choice!"  It's not like Heavenly Father said, "Do you want bad health or would you rather have your seventh child struggle immensely?"  As if my In-laws said, "You know what...I'll take good health.  Who cares about my kids!"  It's so true!  We don't pick these trials.  I'm just having a really, really hard time admitting that something is wrong with my sweet little boy.  I'm having trouble admitting that he'll never "grow out of it" and he'll struggle with this the rest of his life.  I'm having trouble with the fact that I keep putting him in situations where he is judged and labeled.  I'm having trouble with the guilt I feel because I haven't been more understanding.  I'm pretty much having trouble with the whole thing!  

Funny: Outside his classroom, they have some art projects hanging.  The kids were supposed to make flowers growing out of a pot.  It is obvious that all the parts of the flower were cut out already, and the kids just had to assemble them.  The kids were supposed to write or draw pictures about themselves (their likes, talents, abilities, etc.) on the petals and glue them onto the stem and flower pot.  Every single flower is perfect!  Then...There is Austin's.  Three of the flower petals are in place.  The rest of the petals have been cut up and he glued them on as if they were falling off the flower and landed at the bottom of the pot.  I had to laugh at this one.  In truth, Austin could care less about assembling a stupid flower.  I am secretly proud of him for being his own person, being expressive and creative, and not following instructions perfectly, even if he is labeled "The Strange Kid."  

6 comments:

Alexie said...

Emily, Austin is a Good Kid! Maybe we should get him a shirt that says this.:o) He is always so sweet to Abby and is so good to play on her level and not get frustrated when she doesn't understand. I don't know what to tell you about school. As a teacher, i just want to say that his teacher said the wrong thing. But she probably didn't realize how it sounded. I am so glad Austin is his own person! I wish he din't think that means he is the bad kid. Man, i love him!!!

Emily said...

Thank you for loving him! That's all I want. I don't care if he knows the difference between a noun and a verb, or if he can list 10 facts about every planet in the Solar System, or if he knows how to spell "photosynthesis". I just want someone to see his heart and his potential. I'm just so fed up with all the labels. So, thank you! I love him too (and his every creative dying plant among all the "perfect" ones).

Lindsay said...

There is nothing "wrong" with your sweet little boy. Nothing at all. WHAT IS NORMAL?!?! There is no normal these days.

I agree that his teacher just said the wrong thing. Hopefully she will have more confidence in herself and in Austin.

And if Austin is anything like Jameson, having some meeting with parents and teachers and principals is not going to have any effect on him. Jameson has been to the principals office countless times and had so many pink slips we can't even count! Having a meeting isn't going to scare him into behaving the way they think he should.

Don't be upset. Just look at the trust that Heavenly Father has in you to raise this strong and mighty spirit.

Please call, if only just to vent, because you KNOW I understand. Sometimes that means more to me than anything, just to have someone say, I KNOW!

(((Hugs to you)))

(I might have to come back and read my own advice in a few weeks when school starts!)

Valerie said...

Oh, I LOVE the flower pot story. I had to laugh out loud then read it to Cannon. Austin is just Austin. And isn't that great? =) I have to admit that in those pictures I can't believe how much he's changed over the last year. He looks so grown up!

Hang in there, Em. It's probably never going to be easy to be Austin's mom because that's part of what being a parent is. But it will always be totally rewarding! What a big spirit you're in charge of! And don't forget that the mom always knows way more about her kid than the teacher does.

Laura said...

Emily, I agree with Valerie. You know Austin better than anyone and you know what's in his heart. You are always doing your best to do what's best for him. Heavenly Father knows this and so do the rest of us. Austin is a great boy, hopefully the teacher will see this soon and things will be better.

Heavenly Father has trusted a lot of us with some very stong spirits to raise. I seem to have one of those in Heather. I struggle with the guilt of not understanding and a lot of the other things you mention in your posts too. It's a daily struggle and I feel like most days it's a losing battle. Maybe that's my problem, it shouldn't be a battle. As you can see, I sure don't have any answers, but I do know you are an amazing mother and I know that you will figure out how to do what's best for Austin...and I love the flower story too. Good for him!

Jackie said...

Emily- Ditto to what everyone else has said. I'm sorry that Austin may be one of your trials in life. But none of us judge you or him and we love all of your kids dearly! I don't see Austin as being too much different than my kids. They all seem rowdy and energetic! They all have their "moments" of being naughty- but what kid doesn't. I'm just grateful that my kids are healthy and that a physical or mental problem isn't a trial that I have to deal with because I know that I couldn't do that. Anyway....let me know what I can do to help. I would love to watch the girls also- just call! Love you!