Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Austin!

Austin turned 7 on July 2nd!  I can't believe it!  Where has the time gone?!?  At times, it seems like the time has flown by, and yet I find it hard to imagine my life without him.  His birthday started in a grand moment of weakness on my part.  Austin and Logan kept bugging me about sleeping over, and I finally just gave in.  Greg looked at me like I was crazy, but he recovered and set up a "tent" in Austin's room for the boys to sleep in.  After many Lego's and sword fights, they finally settled down at about 10:30.  Greg and I heard them in the kitchen getting some "breakfast" at 5:30 the next morning!  Are you kidding me!  No wonder we don't do sleepovers very often.  We banished them to the basement for a few hours where the Lego's and sword fights continued.  We had to leave for swimming lessons at 9 o'clock.  On the way, Austin said, "Me and Logan had about a thousand light saber fights.  It was awesome!"  
After swimming lessons, we went to the gym for more swimming.  Luckily, Tera was there with her kids.  So, Austin hung out with Deidre the whole time.  The kids had a blast!  Macy loved going down the water slides.  She is definitely my little daredevil!  At home, we had lunch and Nana brought over some gifts.  Austin spent the rest of the afternoon assembling a scene from Indiana Jones.  His attention span is amazing when it comes to Lego's!  He can follow the instructions in the booklets and work on them all by himself.  He stays totally focused until he's done.  

Austin has been asking me what lobster tastes like for a couple of weeks now.  At first, I just blew it off.  But, the other day he said, "Mom...I just really want to know what it tastes like."  Since between all the grandparents in his life, Austin received an innumerable amount of presents, we decided that lobster would be our gift to him.  So, we went to Tepanyaki's for dinner and I ordered the lobster tail (Greg and just shared our meals with the kids - It is a ton of food!).  Austin gave the lobster one thumbs up and one side thumb [this is how my kids "rate" food: thumbs up ("I love it!"), thumbs to the side ("It tastes okay."), or thumbs down ("I don't like it.")].  

After dinner, we invited all the kids in the neighborhood over for a pinata and cake and ice cream cones.  They all seemed to enjoy themselves.  




Austin requested a treasure chest birthday cake, which was served on Pirates of the Caribbean plates with pirate bags for the "loot" (the pinata candy).  To be honest, this is the second attempt.  The first one didn't quite work out and ended up in the garbage.  I've done this enough to know that it usually takes a couple of tries to figure it out, so I had extra cake mix and frosting.  Everyone seemed to have a good time.  


Macy couldn't quite finish her ice cream cone, so she put it in the refrigerator to "save" it.  Unfortunately, I didn't find it until the next morning.  Very nice!


More Star Wars Lego's from Grandma Burr:

Happy Birthday, Bud!  We sure do love you!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

AWESOME cake!!

Jackie said...

First- thank you for letting Logan spend the night. You were so brave! He had a blast though. Second- amazing cake! How do you do it?? So talented.
Third- thanks for letting the kids come over and party with the pinata. They had so much fun!