Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Austin came home from school yesterday and told me that it was a doctor's birthday. I asked him what doctor, and he said, "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr." I asked him who that was. He said, "This guy...that had a dream."

Trying not to laugh but sounding very interested, I asked, "Oh really...what was his dream about?"

Austin answered, "Everyone living together and being nice to each other."

Me: "What kind of people?"

Austin: "All people. People with white skin and people with brown skin."

I was very impressed when he threw in, "And then they killed him."

I really need to follow up on this conversation and discuss the last line a little bit more.

2 comments:

Alexie said...

Very smart, this one. Expect more of this. Last week I told the 5th graders about concentration camps as we read Anne Frank. They had all sorts of questions. I can't imagine what they said to thier parents.
PS- You didn't mention anything about it being YOUR birthday, too?

Jen-ben said...

I love this story so much...I told Jasper and he laughed and laughed. So cute!