Sunday, November 11, 2007

Productive Saturday

WARNING: This is kind of a boring entry, but I'm using my blog as my journal as well, and I just had to record a productive day!

I had a very effective Saturday, thanks to Greg helping out with the kids. First, I did a deep clean of the bathrooms. This included getting the steam cleaner out to get even the baseboards and the corners. I also washed all of the bathroom rugs. By the time I was finished, you could have eaten dinner off the floor (or even the toilet).

Then, I planted bulbs in my garden. Gardening is one of the skills that I really wished I possessed. I fake it, but I can never recreate the beauty that is in my head. One day, when I have some free time (ha, ha, ha), I'm going to take some gardening classes and learn how to get my garden to look like the temple grounds. Anyway...I planted 84 tulip bulbs in our small flowerbed, as well as some Hyacinth bulbs. My friend, Kim, has some gorgeous Hyacinth's that come up every Spring. I've admired them for years, so I decided to put a few of those in as well. There is something about planting bulbs that fascinates me. I put these in the ground and then wait for the ground to freeze over the winter. Instead of killing the bulb, it awakens every spring to surprise me with such beauty. Every time a plant one, I can't help but wonder if it will emerge in the Spring. To me, it's just one of nature's little miracles.
In the evening, Greg and I attended the Temple with my parents and my Aunt Susan. It was a very nice session, and quite inspiring. Although the sister on the back row was snoring. :) I have to admit that it felt great to just sit and relax after such a busy day. I can't tell you how good it feels to get something accomplished. Most days, I feel like I am just trying to keep up with the tornado that emerges from Austin, Macy, and Paige, let alone have time for "deep cleaning" or household projects. I've come to the conclusion that my house will never be clean again for several years. I remember when I used to take half a Saturday and have the entire house cleaned (bathrooms, laundry, floors, kitchen, etc.). So instead of having a completely clean house, I just have bits and pieces that get cleaned while the rest goes to pot. So, at this point in time, if you come over, please take a few minutes to enjoy the pristine bathrooms (and ignore the rest!).

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You have inspired me to buy flowers. You always inspire me to do things! Thank you!

Kimberly Porter said...

I only have one, so I still take 1/2 a Saturday to clean (but only about once or twice a month). I actually liked this entry. I love it when everything is clean and I have a productive day. I also really want to take up gardening. Oh! When I have my own home. That will be fun times.