Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I've Been Tagged

The Rules:

1. List the link to your tagger and also post these following rules.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog - some random, some weird, etc.
3. Tag 7 people at the the end of your blog also leaving the links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are "TAGGED" by leaving a comment on their blog.

Okay...so I'm not usually very good at these "tag" things. But, since Kim tagged me, I guess I'll give it my best shot. Kim is Greg's darling cousin. In truth, most of Greg's cousins (and there are TONS of them) are quite a bit older than I am, and not all that interested in a friendship. Then...there's Kim. I love Kim, and I've loved getting to know her better through her blog. So, I'll be a good sport and do this. As you can see from my posts, I normally have a difficult time talking about myself. My husband and my kids are just so much more interesting, funny, exciting, etc. Here goes:

1. I am a pretty decent snow skier. Neither of my parents ski, but when I was in Jr. High, they had a ski program where you got to get out of school early once a week, bus up to Brighton (ski resort), and have a lesson and "free" ski. When Greg and I were dating, we went on a ski trip with some friends. I hadn't skied in 10 years, and I was so nervous because Greg is an excellent skier and snowboarder. But, I got up to the top of the hill and soared down. I guess it was a lot like riding a bike, so to speak. I've never tried snowboarding because we only go skiing about once a winter because it is so stinkin' expensive! But, I really do love it, and it's something Greg and I can do together.

2. I am a "Recovering Perfectionist." I'm actually recovering beautifully, and I'm sure my husband would appreciate much more "perfection" in my life (especially when it comes to organization and routine). As a child, and especially in Jr. High, High School, and College, I put an awful lot of pressure on myself. When I did mess up, I was devastated and embarrassed. I had several anxiety attacks and meltdowns. I'm working on it!

3. One of the most fun things I've ever done in my life is being a balloon handler in the Macy's Day Parade in New York. We had kind of a lame balloon - Peter Rabbit. I was 20, and I did this with my sister, Lisa, who is a year younger than me. We had to turn in our measurements because every balloon has a designated color, and every balloon handler gets to wear that color of jumpsuit. Well, we knew it would be cold (freezing, actually - The wind chill factor made it so it was the kind of freezing like the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" [one of my husband's all-time favorite movies] where their snot freezes to their face.) Anyway...we knew it would be cold so we added a few inches to all of our measurements to allow for coats, sweaters, gloves, hats, etc. underneath. Apparently, the parade planners account for this as well. We got our jumpsuits and started laughing hysterically. These dark brown jumpsuits were for behemoth's - The parade was expecting two 6'2", 300 pound women. The jumpsuits were so big that the crotch fell below my knees. Despite that, we had a blast! It's actually quite difficult because you have to keep the balloon down until the very end where you put it up for the cameras. As soon as you pass the cameras, you turn the corner, and you have just a couple of minutes to take down the balloon. So, there are about 50 people lying down on this huge balloon - you have to put your whole body into it. People are running around, frantically screaming to hurry it up and work hard, but there is so much helium that they are speaking in that high pitched voice. Lisa and I were rolling on the balloon laughing our heads off. We just couldn't take anyone seriously in that high voice. Even though we had a blast, the parade probably didn't miss us the next year.

4. I work through a lot of my problems and stresses in my dreams. I reconcile friendships that ended badly, plan Primary activities, parent my children correctly, etc. Sometimes, after I wake up, it is so real to me that I can't determine if I really did something or if I just dreamed it.

5. I love skinny dipping! I love swimming anyway, but I really love swimming naked. I am usually not all that comfortable being naked, and as Macy pointed out, nobody really likes me naked. But, if I ever get a chance to do this, I love it! It makes Greg very nervous. I got him to do it with me once, and after about 1 minute of pure stress, Greg was ready to put his swimsuit back on. Quite honestly, it's usually the other way around. Greg is usually the one telling me to relax and enjoy myself.

6. One day, I'd love to backpack through Europe. This is one of the very few regrets of my life. I actually don't really believe in regrets. I believe that when you choose one way, you sacrifice other things and that's okay. But, I do kind of wish that Greg and I would have done this before we had children. It's not something that we can do while we have children at home. So, in about 20 years, I'd love to take 6 weeks and travel throughout Europe.

7. I love playing practical jokes, but I get so excited that I usually give away too many hints ahead of time and usually blow it. Most of the practical jokes that I play revolve around Christmas, but it is just so fun for me. I also don't mind being the brunt of a really good practical joke. I've got a good one in mind for this Christmas, and I've asked Greg to be in on it, but he has his doubts. I think I'm a lot funnier than he does.

There you go. I can't believe how difficult it was to come up with 7 things! I won't officially "tag" anyone, but I would absolutely LOVE it if anyone wants to do this on their blog! So, consider yourself tagged if you're reading this (but I won't hold it against you if you don't do it either)! :)

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Ever since you told me that story oh so many years ago about the Thanksgiving day parade, I can't watch the parade without thinking of you and Lisa in your XL jumpsuits wrangling your balloon. It makes me laugh every year.

Kimberly Porter said...

Emily, this was great. I didn't pin you as a skinny dippin' girl & I think the next time I see you I may smile at you with a wink in my eye. You're so great. Thanks for coming through with this.

Colette said...

Emily you surprise me. Skinny dipping! Wow that is great.

Jen-ben said...

I've been so out of the blogging world. I LOVE this post about you! And I love skinny dipping too! Isn't it so fun! You're so great!! xoxoxo