Friday, September 28, 2007

Odds and Ends

Austin got up this morning at 6:08, and I told him to go find something to do until 7:00 so I could sleep a little longer. So, he decided to make his own lunch. He made peanut butter and honey sandwich, an entire baggie of raisins (I dumped about half of this out while he got dressed so he wouldn't have an indigestion problem in the afternoon), a plum, and some wheat crackers. And he did it all with a huge smile on his face (he was pretty proud of himself). See...he does have amazing qualities.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Lisa came over this afternoon and Tanner was at our house. Lisa has met Tanner about a hundred times, but Macy decided to introduce him. She said, "This is Tanner. He's my best friend. Isn't he cute?" Lisa agreed that Tanner was adorable, and Macy turned to Tanner and said, "Tanner, you're so cute." Funny...funny girl! I think we should all start introducing each other like this. How great would we all feel about ourselves.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My friend, Colette, asked for book recommendations on her blog. I gave her an ear full (sorry). I also gave her some of our family favorites. It got me thinking about one that we ran across at the library last week. It is called "The Errant Knight" by Ann Tompert and Doug Keith. At Austin's school, they have a program called "Discovery." Every Tuesday afternoon, for one hour, the kids split into smaller classes to learn about, or "discover," a new topic. They offer several classes (some taught by teachers and other classes taught by parent volunteers), and the kids get to choose. The classes are small (10-12 kids), so they get more attention. Austin chose "Life in a Castle" for his first Discovery class, and he has loved every minute of it. They learn all about Medieval times, including knights.

So, when we were at the library, Austin saw this book and picked it because of his castle class at school. We brought it home, not knowing much about it, and absolutely loved it. This is what it says on the inside flap:

This is the tale of a brave knight who sets out one day to serve his King.

"Will you be slaying fire-breathing dragons and saving beautiful maidens?" asks his squire.

"If the King commands me, " he replies. "I will not be an errant knight, wandering about seeking adventure."

But as he rides toward the castle, frightened travelers seek the knight's aid and protection. Though he resists, something inside will not allow him to refuse. He presses on, but his mission is delayed again and again as the knight stops to help those in need.

Has he been loyal to the King by following his heart, or has he been an errant knight after all?

The author wrote it for her father, "a selfless, hard-working man whose personal dreams were often postponed as he raised his three daughters alone." It was absolutely touching, and the illustrations are beautiful. Sometimes we think we have to change the world through great, magnificent acts of service, when the small, everyday kindnesses have such impact over the course of an entire lifetime. Anyway...I highly recommend this book (although the language is a little difficult, so it may not be for very young children). I love it when we run across a fabulous find at the library.

Some of our other family favorites (I'd love to hear your favorites):

How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague - This was a favorite bedtime book for both Austin and Macy.
Absolutely anything by Audrey WoodWe also love all the Iza Trapani books (they are stories set to popular songs so you sing your way through them) Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed is a funny take on Goodnight Moon - This is one of my favorite to read to my kids :)

5 comments:

Alexie said...

I also wanted to add a favorite ot your book list: "Feelings" but i don't remeber the author. We LOVE this [pciture book and Curtis uses it all the time for his workshops.

Emily said...

"The Way I Feel" by Janan Cain. Yes..that is a good one. My kids love it! I think we've gone through two copies.

Kimberly Porter said...

Josh likes "From Head to Toe" by Eric Carle. He enjoys doing all the actions & the "I Can Do It!" on each page. He gets pretty excited.

Jen-ben said...

Ah, I love all those books!!

Greg said...

My favorite bedtime book to read to the kids is Jamberry.