Monday, September 17, 2007

Fun and Fabulous Home Teachers

Our Home Teachers came over yesterday - Bryce Taylor and Roger Garcia. They brought a corn snake that Brother Taylor found when they lived in Texas. He said the snake was only about six inches long when he found it. It was a gorgeous, bright orange. The kids loved it! Austin let it wind all over his arms and neck. Then, Macy cautiously held it. She wasn't scared, but we were afraid she would squeeze it. Austin even listened to a story about Helaman's Stripling Warriors and the importance of listening to our mothers (thanks again for that fabulous message, Brother Taylor - check's in the mail).

Brother Taylor also told us a story about a friend of his who lives in Texas still. One day, he found four little snakes. So, he caught them, put them in a container with leaves, and mailed them to Brother Taylor in Utah. He said it was winter, so it was quite cold outside. He opened the package and dumped out three dead Copperhead snakes. He immediately called his friend, thinking it was a funny joke. His friend said that there were actually four snakes. So, he dumped out the container, and the fourth one came out. His friend was shocked when he told him that they were Copperheads - He had no idea. Brother Taylor laid the four snakes out on his desk, positive that they were dead. Then, he saw tongues start to flicker. They were alive! They had just gone dormant in the cold weather. Eventually, he had to kill the baby Copperheads because his friend could be put in jail for terrorist activity (sending live, poisonous snakes in the mail). Isn't that crazy!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I won't be able to read your blog if there is anymore snake talk....and pictures. I'm about to puke. AHHHH!
Liz

J/K I will still read it. But that did make my stomach turn.

Emily said...

Sorry Liz - I should have warned you! I actually thought about you while I posted this one. Sorry! Thanks for hanging around, though.

Brian and Kim said...

I know what you mean about the Taylor's. They are awesome people. My kids love to go to his house to see his huge lizard looking thing. I usually stay way, way back. Creepy!!!! Your pics are great. I love the look on Macy's face. She is so brave!!! Austin looks like he is in heaven.

Jen-ben said...

SO COOL! Love the pics. I'm shakin in boots over this snakes though... :)