Monday, August 25, 2008

Macy is Struggling!

For the record: 4 is not my favorite age.  I have no idea why people say the "Terrible Twos" because it should be the "Ferocious Fours" or the "Frightful Fours"  or the...okay, I'll stop.  I'm treading on dangerous ground.  

Seriously, I think Greg and I are the worst parents on the planet.  So far, Heavenly Father has sent me three adorable, sweet, loving babies and they turn into the most bratty, snotty, annoying preschoolers.  What are we doing to them?!?  Today, Macy's preschool teacher said that Macy must be my stubborn little spitfire.  I was actually kind of rude (not on purpose) and just laughed and said, "They're all like that."  What is wrong with our kids?!?  

Tonight, as I was putting Macy to bed and politely suggesting that she might want to get down on her knees and explain her problems to Heavenly Father to see if He can help her, she started crying.  I might just mention that I was putting her to bed because her dad was so angry at her that he didn't even want to be around her.  She has just been a nightmare lately.  She thinks she can have anything and everything she wants, she has zero regard for anyone else, and she blatantly disregards anything we say or any rules at all.  You should see her during Primary.  She is unbelievable.  I kept thinking that she would get better once she got used to it, but no; I'm pretty sure she's gotten worse.  It sounds like preschool isn't going much better.

Anyway, this was our conversation:
Macy (with a puckered lip and tears rolling down her face): "But Mom, I just want a new number."
Me: "What are you talking about?"
Macy: "I don't want four anymore, I want seven."
Me (giving in and hugging her): "Why do you want to be seven?"
Macy: "Because then I can be like Austin and make good choices."

At least I'm writing all of this down.  One day, when their therapists ask why they are the way they are, they can just show them a printout of all these stories that will rapidly explain how Greg and I are screwing them up.  Who knows, maybe they can get a discount because they can bypass years of speculation.

10 comments:

Brian and Kim said...

Oh Em, You are Greg are the best parents. Really, don't roll you eyes:) Four really is one of the toughest years, I wouldn't relive that for a million bucks. She'll grow out of it. It seems like six is the age when they realize that there is a whole world out there and it doesn't revolve around them. It was a very rude awakening for Brooklyn. She really struggled with it. Hang in there!! I've said it before, I wish I could be half the parent you are. Love you!!

Lindsay said...

But she's cute, no?

Emily said...

She is cute. But some days, not quite cute enough. :)

Kimberly Porter said...

Emily, you are so real! I love it!

Ryan and I think that we are screwing up with Joshua as well. Everything that has to do with church (prayers, FHE, scripture study), he blatently refuses to participate. It is very frustrating!

Isn't being a mom SO much harder than you expected it to be? I always thought that if I was a good example, they would just follow. But no! They all come with their own little spirits, personalities, and need to learn mistakes on their own.

I wish they would just be perfect little angels all the time. But really, isn't this life all about overcoming challenges? I know that you are an amazing mother. I can tell by how much thought and time you put into parenting.

I read Elder Ballard's conference talk a few weeks ago on young mothers. I weeped through the whole thing again. I love the advice to make sure the Lord is a part of your parenting. I know you already do this...but it's a good reminder nonetheless. :)

Jen-ben said...

hahahahahaha! I love her!!!

Alexie said...

When i read your post my first thought was, "Way to go Austin!" How great that Macy can see what happens when he makes good choices-that means he must be making them. Whoo-Hoo!

Valerie said...

Four is not my favorite age either. Actually, I was terrified that I was going to have two four-year-olds at once. Somehow, we made it to seven! I love the "new number" comment. That's the best part of being four - they say the funniest things! My motto for four-year-olds: "It's a good thing they're cute!"

Jackie said...

I love Macy's comments! At least she makes you smile in hard times. :-) Claire is a stinker too. I really hope she grows out of the screaming and tantrums. She has no fear of me and has a mind of her own. Maybe when she's 7 she'll be better. :-)

Jana said...

I didn't love the age of four either, though Emma was more mood swingy than stinkery. Every age has its own set of horrors!!

Laura said...

Emily, I was pretty sure we had the "worst parents in the world" title sewn up...but if you want to share, I guess it's ok. :) Seriously, I'm positive you are much better at this parenting thing than I am...and it is truly a good thing they're so darn cute!

Four is one of the hardest ages I can think of. Even my mellow Josh was a hand full. And my cutie pie, Heather...Well, I'd like to say 7 is easier than 4 was. I'll just say it's different. :)