Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dreams

I'm a dreamer.  Not figuratively - I'm actually too realistic for my own good - but I actually dream a lot at night.  Sometimes I have crazy dreams that make no sense like I'm flying around and land on elephant or I'm in a movie or I'm even a different person.  Of course, I have the recurring dream of my teeth falling out.  Generally, I have a mouth full and I'm frantically trying to push them back into place.  Then, they eventually just all fall out into my hands.  

Sometimes, if I'm stressed, I work out my problems in my dreams.  I had a bad break-up with a boyfriend 15 years ago (jeez) and I'll have a dream where Greg and I will just run into him and his wife (I know her too) and everyone will be very pleasant and kind to each other.  I also left my first nanny job on bad terms.  Even though the couple is now divorced and my little 5-year-old is now 17, over six feet tall and over 300 pounds (he plays football in High School now), I still have dreams where I run into this family and their adorable little boys (they were 5 and 2 when I knew them).  Again, we are all pleasant and kind to each other.  When I was pregnant with Macy, we couldn't come up with a name.  I had a dream that we had this baby girl in our home and we just kept calling her "Macy."  I also work out Primary problems or run my errands in my sleep.  When I wake up, I'm really bummed out when I realize that I still have to get everything done.  

Sometimes, my dreams really do mean something.  I truly believe that there have been times when the Lord has answered my prayers through my dreams.  It's taken me quite a few years to recognize these types of dreams as answers.  It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.  

For years, I thought this was normal and that everyone dreams.  But, Greg assures me that he rarely dreams, and the more I talk to people, I realize that there are a lot of people who don't remember their dreams.  Anyway...I had a particularly kooky night last night, so I thought I would share two of my dreams.

Dream #1: Emphysema Dog
I was at this house that was quite run down.  I was in the front yard and it was gated in.  There were other people there too, but I don't know who they were and they were sitting on the porch and going in and out of the house - I didn't interact with them.  I think I had Paige with me, and she was just toddling around this yard with no grass and weeds everywhere.  There was also this big, skinny, slobbering dog that was following me around and whining at me.  It was dark grey with tons of black spots.  

Sidenote: I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I do not care for big dogs, especially ones that slobber.  I don't mind little lap dogs, and I do like them if they are a little fluffy.  

This dog had a cigarette that it kept picking up with his mouth.  He would follow me around and whine.  I kept taking the cigarette out of his mouth and throwing it on the ground and telling the dog that I wasn't going to light it.  Finally, I was just so fed up with the whining that I lit the cigarette for the dog and it ran away and left me alone.  I remember thinking that it was against the Word of Wisdom to smoke, but it doesn't say anything about dogs and smoking.  Plus, if it got the dog to leave me alone, then it was fine with me.

Dream #2: Lost Children
Greg and I were at Lagoon with Austin and Macy.  It was Lagoon, but it was also a craft fair in the parking lot.  They had all these little booths for kids to make little crafts, but they could also go on all the rides.  Greg and I decided to leave to go on a date.  We told Austin to watch Macy and we would be back.  After our date, Greg went to his family reunion and I went home and went to bed.  At 2 o'clock in the morning, I woke up and realized that we had left Austin and Macy at the Lagoon Craft Fair.  We had forgotten to pick them up.  

Sidenote:  Keep in mind that I have no idea where Paige was this entire time.  

So, I got in the car and drove to Farmington/Odgen where they sent me to this group home where they keep children who have been neglected.  I had to walk through metal detectors and the police and social workers started questioning me.  I was doing my best to assure them that I was a good mother, and there was no need for them to take my kids away.  I called Greg at the family reunion, and he didn't really seem that concerned (not concerned enough to leave the reunion anyway).  After hours and several different people, I finally convinced them to let me see the kids.  They said that had one hour of "Supervised Visitation".  We were in this big room with couches, a TV, and toys.  There was only one door in and out of the room.  There were lots of other parents and children having their visits as well.  After our visit, I asked when I could take them home.  They said that I could see a judge in the morning.  I asked what time, and they said that the home opened at 7 a.m.  I told them I would be there first thing in the morning.  Then...I woke up.  

CRAZY!!!
Any interpretations???

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow. The one where your teeth are falling out? Hilarious. And freaky. I can offer no interpretations, sorry. My sleep is completely dreamless except for when I'm pregnant, then, watch out.

Kristy said...

Oh!!! I forgot to tell you what Picture Scriptures are! My kids love doing it. It's this book well, two books, one for the Book of Mormon, and one for the New Testament. In each book there are simple little drawings that go with certain scriptures. The drawings work like memory devices...You go to that particular scripture, and then the kids draw their own picture in their scriptures (the inexpensive missionary versions)...um I don't think I'm explaining it very well...but my neighbor took them to the copy store and they let her make three whole new books with it...I would be more than happy to make a copy for you. We should all try to get together and do dinner again sometime. I could give them to you then. I don't know about anyone else, but I had a such a good time hanging out with everyone. Anyway, I'm rambling. Let me know if you want a copy! They are an easy and fun hands on way to learn the scriptures.

Lindsay said...

I have the falling out teeth dream too! Or that I just don't have teeth - terrible! I love dreams, I would love to have mine interpreted too. Oh and I don't like dogs at all!

You are funny, I loved reading these.

Oh and I'm with Kristy - let's do dinner!

La Toya said...

I have had the teeth falling out dream a lot. I looked up the meaning. Here is some of what the all the different sites say. Sorry this is long......

There is often a feeling of helplessness, of powerlessness--the teeth are coming out and there is nothing the dreamer can do to stop the process. Sometimes teeth fall out, sometimes they are simply missing, sometimes they crumble away. Whichever way they make their exit, the dreamer is left with not only a gap in her smile, but a hole in her heart when she awakens.

If feelings of loss of control, helplessness or powerlessness accompany your tooth loss dream, the dream is typically acting as a mirror of a situation in waking life. Dreams of tooth loss coupled with anxiety reflect a fear of change, fear of transition. Ask yourself if there is some transition that you are fearful of making.

Sometimes tooth loss dreams point to a fear of failure or embarrassment. In waking life, when people lose teeth, they often cover their mouths when talking or smiling. Is there something you want to do but are afraid of undertaking because you fear you'll look foolish if you fail? Or is there something going on in your waking life that you feel you must hide or 'cover up'?

Here is the URL...

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10573.asp

Jackie said...

I love the dog dream. Too funny. I'd have lit the cigarrette if it got the slobbery dog away from me too. I don't have any interpretations. I have strange dreams sometimes too.

Alexie said...

It must run in the family. I have wacko-weird dreams too, all the time. And now that i am up feeding max twice a night i usually have two or three stange dreams a night.

My thought on the dog dream: Sometimes the rules don't apply.

My thought on the Lagoon dream: You stress too much about being a good or bad mom.

Oh,and i HATE the teeth dream I always wake up in sweats aftre i have it.

Marianne said...

Wow. There are people that don't dream? I have crazy dreams just about every night. It's probably why I don't sleep well. I've never had the teeth falling out one but I do have the somebody's chasing me and I'm running and running dream a lot. Last night I had one where I was watching a Rumba (one of those robot vacuums) vacuum my house over and over and over again. I also had one where I was riding a roller coaster over and over again. I have a lot of repetition apparently.