Thursday, August 7, 2008

9 Years

Greg and I celebrated our 9 year Anniversary on July 29th.  We actually celebrated a week earlier by going to Anniversary Inn for the night.  I'll spare you the details, but will say that it was wonderful and exactly what we needed!  I am completely in my element when I get to put on my "Wife Hat" and lay aside all the rest: Mom, Cook, Chauffeur, Maid, Counselor, Doctor, Secretary, Gardner, etc.  (Big Shout Out to Lisa [and Matt] for taking over all the other hats for the evening.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!)  Actually, Greg would say that I really put on the "Girlfriend Hat."  He has this theory that I was superb at giving him directions and instructions when I was a girlfriend, but I'm horrible at it now that I'm the wife.  On the way to the hotel, I told him about a turn he'd have to make in plenty of time.  He put his hand on my knee and welcomed his "girlfriend" for the night.  When he puts his hand way too high on my thigh, I like to tease him that he's putting on his "Boyfriend Hat."  But...I've given out way too much information.  Sorry.

On the day we were married, my mother-in-law said that she wouldn't trade places with me for anything.  I couldn't figure out why.  Why wouldn't everybody want to be me on my wedding day?  It was an amazing day (except for the mistake of wearing "the claw" as bangs, it was absolutely perfect).  Anyway...After 9 years and 3 children, I am beginning to understand.  I'm definitely not the same person I was on that day, and I never could have imagined the things that we've been through together.  I'm also beginning to realize how perfect Greg is for me.  For us, I felt like the first few years were definitely like an extended honeymoon.  They were so easy; it felt like we were playing house.  Then, we got into a few years of the nitty gritty.  Now, I feel like we're really settling into each other.  Life is so comfortable when he's around and we're together.  Our lives are so intertwined that it is impossible to see how to separate them.  I'm grateful.  

We have our problems - everybody does.  We both fall short sometimes, and we both have the opportunity to apologize frequently and forgive frequently.  Overall...I am married to a man with a genuine heart who truly desires to do good and be good.  I feel loved.  I feel blessed.

6 comments:

Brian and Kim said...

I have to say that I love it when you talk about your dates. That sounds crazy, I know but I love to hear that you are just as in love or more than when you were dating. It's awesome!!!! Congrats on your 9 year!!

Jackie said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are so cute and I'm like Kim- I love to hear about your cute dates and comments. Spence and I must be in the 7 year slump... lol.

Amber said...

Jake was reading this blog with me, and he said, "They look EXACTLY the same!" (with the exception of the claw, of course). Congrats on 9 years!

Jen-ben said...

You guys are HOT!

Lindsay said...

Happy anniversary - I love reading real love stories.

Kristy said...

How beautiful are you? Man, time slips away so fast doesn't it?