Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pure Joy

Austin has been a pure joy lately! He has been doing so well, and I enjoy every minute that I am around him. The other night, my sister's and I were practicing for our Christmas program and Greg had gone home teaching. I put the girls to bed early, and Austin came in the front room and sat on the couch and listened. Did you hear that??? Austin SAT! He didn't bounce, jump, leap, or fly off the couch, constantly interrupting. I was enjoying him so much that I didn't even want to put him to bed. Then, I got a phone call about "church business" that I had to take in my bedroom, and he snuck in, kissed me goodnight, and put himself to bed around 8:30. Amazing! I wrote him this note and taped it on his door nob (it got ripped coming off the door nob, so we taped it back together the best we could). In response, Austin wanted to draw the same picture for Greg.
My note (as for the drawing, just know that Greg has banned me from drawing pictures in church because it makes him laugh too hard):

Translation: Austin, Thank you for being such an amazing boy! You were so fun to be around tonight. You got in the bathtub, washed, and got pajamas on when I asked. You also did the silverware so quickly. It was amazing! Lisa, Alexie, and I really needed to practice our songs. Thank you for sitting so quietly on the couch and coloring and reading Christmas books so we could practice. It was so fun to have you listen to us. I'm so happy that you're my son and part of our family. I love having you around! I love you! (picture of us swimming in the ocean)

Austin's note:

Translation: I (heart) You Dad, and I (heart) the way your zoo [Greg was playing Zoo Tycoon on the computer at the time]. It is amazing. It is cool. You have lots of ****'s (star's).

He has been so sweet and thoughtful lately as well. Today, while we were in the car, I tried guessing his favorite Christmas song. It turned into a list of his favorite 6 Christmas songs. It was just a nice, pleasant conversation. When I asked him what he was going to ask Santa for, he said, "I'm just going to tell him to surprise me!" I love it that he doesn't have a long, detailed list of all his fondest desires (like his dad and I did at his age). And yesterday, when he said his prayers, he thanked Heavenly Father for his mom and that he got to spend time with me. Do you know what he usually prays for? He usually says, "Please bless my mom to have patience and not yell or scream today." I looked at our newly-ordained deacons that came to their last Primary Activity today, and they are such amazing kids. I am really impressed with their group of friends. I teach most of them piano, and they are really great kids. But, they are growing up. They tell me all about friends, the latest high-tech gadgets that they want, even girls! I don't want my kids to grow up! I'm really trying hard to just relish these years when my son actually shows gratitude that he gets to spend time with his mom, and Macy tells me that besides Tanner and Claire, I'm her best friend!

1 comment: