Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Little More Insanity

We went to Temple Square to see the lights last night. We left at 4:00, and arrived at Gateway while it was still light outside. We ate at Rumbi, and then headed over to see the lights. Even though it was only one stop away, we got on Trax at Gateway and rode to Temple Square (I guess we had to enjoy the "whole" experience). We had a lot of fun walking around and seeing the lights. Austin's favorite was a tree that was decked out all in red. It was incredible! There had to be thousands of lights. Every single branch was wrapped. Macy's favorite was going inside the Visitor's Center to see the Christus. There were a ton of people, but it didn't feel overly crowded. We watched the Nativity Scene (this was always my favorite as a kid), and headed home. We actually got the kids to be before 8:30.

On the train:

My mom was so kind to take our picture, but I should have showed her how to use my camera (we're a little blurry). But, the trees in the background are nicely in focus. Oh well...I guess walking around in 29 degree temperatures for half an hour doesn't exactly make us look fabulous (red, snotty noses and all)! Thanks for trying, Mom! This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago, but Paige looked so cute all bundled up that I had to post it. I can't say enough how much I adore her! I was looking at her today, and her eyes are so brown now. I think they are beautiful. My dad said that I had to sing the song. So, I started singing "Brown Eyed Girl."

It was so nice to sit in Sacrament Meeting today. We had a very nice meeting with music and talks from the Bishopric. I sat on the stand because I sang with the choir and helped lead the Primary kids. Thanks to Greg for sitting with the kids the entire meeting (at least Paige slept through most of it)! It really was so nice to sit down, enjoy the music, and really listen to the speakers. Brother Bos told some very touching stories about the Christmas that he was three years old. He talked about his mother baking cookies for the first time ever and delivering them to some elderly people in their neighborhood. He told about visiting an elderly gentlemen that they had never met but only waved to on the way to church. It turns out he was taking care of his wife who had Alzheimer's and hadn't recognized him for years. He was terribly lonely, and this young mother and little boy visited them for Christmas. (By the way, this man had been a baker by trade.) He also told of another neighbor that his mother visited that Christmas. While she was there, the woman offered her a drink. When she went into the kitchen, the boiler had exploded and flooded her kitchen. Since his mother had worked part time for the utility company, she knew who to call on Christmas Eve since the office was closed. She must have taught her young son well because Brother Bos is always willing to serve other people and gets so excited about sharing the gospel. I was very touched by so much of what was said, and greatly enjoyed listening to the traditional Christmas scriptures. As many of you know, I tend to be a little emotional. I had a hard time getting through the closing hymn. I really do love Christmas! It's just so hard to find the appropriate balance.

I ended the day with one of my favorite traditions - watching "It's a Wonderful Life" while wrapping presents. I LOVE this movie - I always have! One of my new favorite Christmas movies is "Family Man" (even though I am absolutely NOT a Nicholas Cage fan). I think I like these movies because I strive every day to find joy and pleasure in the average, simple things of life. I don't do great, fantastic things (even though I dream big). I'm never going to be on Oprah for building orphanages in Africa or feeding entire South American villages. I'm never going to be rich to travel the world building houses for the homeless. I'm just a normal person, trying my best to raise my family with values and faith. I'm just an ordinary wife and mother who tries to live within our means so I can stay at home and not work. I try to fix dinner every night so we can eat around the table and help my kids with their homework. I try to fulfill my calling to the best of my ability and love the kids in our neighborhood. I love these movies because I have to believe that even though I'm just a normal, ordinary person, I can make a difference on a small scale. I can impact my family and friends, and they definitely impact me and make me a better person. The goal is to find happiness with the blessings the Lord has given us and not spend hours wishing it were different. We all make sacrifices for the good of our family members and other people. It may not be grandiose or glamorous, but it's stable and good. At the end of the movie, where everyone is giving Jimmy Stewart money, my wonderful (but slightly pessimistic) husband turns to me and says, "That would never happen today." Maybe I'm naive, but I like to believe that we live in a world where that would happen - where most people are basically good at the core. Anyway...these movies may be a little "cheesy," but they make me happy. Plus, Jimmy Stewart just cracks me up! I love his acting, and I love his voice. Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

Jen-ben said...

Em I love this...and I love that movie!! That was my parents tradition too...if I were at home for Christmas I'd pick it up as well. My favorite line is " You call this a happy family? Why'd we have to have all these kids!". After just typing this I feel very old.
And I'd like to say that you DO make a difference. I am so thankful for our friendship, you've become one of my best friends, you're loyal, always willing to listen (and talk..something I love about you), you're honest, hilarious, and you never try to be someone you're not. You've been such a good example to me!! Thank YOU! XOXOX

Emily said...

That's Greg's favorite line too.