Sunday, August 12, 2007

President Faust

As many of you know, President Faust passed away on Friday. We talked about it today in Primary, and one of the 8-year-old boys said matter-of-factly, "Yep...Time to cross him off the list." Children are so open and honest about their feelings.

After Macy was born, and I had significant back problems, every doctor I went to said not to move all day. Dumb advice, but I followed it. There was nothing on TV during the day, so I kind of got hooked on the BYU station that aired conference addresses and various talks. It was there that I discovered how much I truly loved President Faust. Of course I love and try to follow all of the apostles, but there was just something about President Faust that made me feel a real connection. He seemed to be so genuine whenever he spoke; and it seemed as though he always spoke from the heart. I always listened extra closely whenever he spoke in conference, and he always made a personal connection. When I heard of his death, I wasn't surprised because he had been very frail lately, and I wasn't really sad. All I could think was how amazing that reunion is with his Savior. This genuine, honest, kind-hearted man that lived his life to serve. It must be such a happy occasion. It has really made me think about my life and what kind of reunion I will have when it is my turn to face my Savior. I just need to do what President Hinckley keeps preaching: try a little harder and do a little better. Anyway...President Faust really touched my life, and I will miss him.
The talk in Sacrament Meeting was very interesting (we went to my sister's ward). The man told about his grandfather who served a mission in Brazil in 1940, and he actually trained President Faust when he was a greenie. He talked about how his grandfather had only baptized one person throughout his 3 years in Brazil, a father of three boys. Eventually though, this man's wife ad children joined the church, and they were sealed in the temple. All three son's served missions and many of their children have served missions. After some research, it was determined that tens of thousands of people have joined the church all because of this one man (who was a hard-working missionaries only convert). It just made me think about how much we don't understand how our lives touch the lives of others. We may never know who we may comfort, help, inspire, etc. There have certainly been many, many people who have affected me and my life so deeply, and I never told them. I can think of old teachers, Young Women leaders, neighbors, relatives, my husband and children, friends, friends of friends, etc. who may have said something or perhaps I just observed an act of kindness who have had such a large impact on who I am or who I want to become. Some of these people have died and I will never see them again in this life; some people are such a part of my past that I will probably never see them again; some people are such a constant in my life that it seems like they will always be around; and some people are new to my life. Thank you to all of you who do so much on my behalf every day. I am so blessed to know so many amazing, talented, kind, and caring people!

1 comment:

Brian and Kim said...

I couldn't agree more. His talk last conference about the forgiveness in reference to the Amish families was amazing.