Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Perfect Day

It can be so easy to get wrapped up with the "have to's" and doldrums of day-to-day life.  Even fun things like vacations and family activities can be filled with stress.  Every once in a while, we are blessed with an absolutely perfect day.  This was one of them.
Austin was baptized by his father on July 4th.  Both of his grandfathers offered the prayers, and both of his grandmothers offered the talks.  Greg's mom spoke about baptism and how it is the key to unlocking the blessings of heaven.  She talked about how Austin is following Jesus Christ and is being perfectly obedient.  My mom spoke about the Holy Ghost.  She talked about how to hear the Holy Ghost and then told him when she heard felt the Holy Ghost bear witness to her for the first time.  She issued a challenge: That Austin will do something during the Sacrament to feel the Spirit (read the scriptures, look at the Hymn Book, look at pictures of Christ, etc.).  So far, he has done really well with that challenge.  

The water for the baptism must have been nice and toasty because the mirror was completely fogged over.  I had to stand up with the small children just so I could see it.  Greg practiced with him over and over again in the living room, and Austin was so excited.  Austin was also confirmed a member of the church and received the Holy Ghost.  Greg gave him a beautiful blessing.  He spoke about the joy and happiness that Austin has brought into our lives.  He blessed him to move forward in life aspiring to righteous moments: receiving the priesthood, attending the temple, serving a mission, and taking a girl to the temple to be married.  

When I was 15 years old, I worked at the Take-5 Drive Inn in Murray.  This older woman ran the place.  She spent the day perched on her stool, making schedules, shouting orders, and talking - nonstop.  She was raising her two grandchildren, and I remember her saying that the oldest one wasn't baptized when he was eight because she didn't believe that he was mature enough to make that decision.  I am not judging that decision (it was hers to make, and not mine), but it has always stuck with me.  Are eight-year-olds really capable of making that decision, or are they just doing it to please their parents?  Was I ready to make that decision at eight?  Did I understand the implication's?  

The answers to those questions are complex.  Last year, when Austin turned seven, I thought to myself, "There is no way he is going to be ready for baptism next year.  He just seems so immature."  I have been completely amazed at the difference between age 7 and age 8.  I have watched his brain change this past year.  He seems to process things differently, and the complexity of subjects has grown immensely.  His questions are much more thought-provoking and we have discussed very mature topics.  He started to lose his innocence (I have to admit that I shed a few tears over this one).  He is definitely more capable, but it has come at the cost of some of his childhood.

Then, I went to his Bishop's Interview with him.  I sat outside while he met with our loving, kind Bishop.  Finally, he motioned for me to join them.  He held the door for me and waited for me to be seated.  As soon as I walked in that room, I was overwhelmed with the Spirit.  I am so grateful for a good Bishop (and good Bishops everywhere) who teach and love my children.  We discussed what they had been discussing, and I felt strongly that Austin was ready.  I have no doubt about the Age of Accountability.  It is time for him to move into this new part of his life, with the Holy Ghost as his guide to help mold and refine his spirit.  I believe that Austin has his own testimony of Joseph Smith, President Monson, and Jesus Christ.  It may not be as strong as it will be in the future, but in his eight-year-old way, he has a knowledge and belief of these principles.  

One Example:
About a year ago, we had a Family Home Evening centered around the First Article of Faith ("We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost").  We talked about how Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have a body just like us.  Then, we talked about how we don't really know what the Holy Ghost looks like, but we feel him and "talk" to him using our Spirit.   Austin piped up: "I know what the Holy Ghost looks like."  At first I thought he was just being argumentative (which is extremely common with my children).  So, I said, "Okay.  What does he look like?"  Austin: "He is the brightest light that you've ever seen."  This peaked my interest, and I quickly repented of my previous thoughts.  I asked, "Why do you say that?"  Austin replied, "Well, when Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, they were brighter than the sun.  So, the Holy Ghost must be even brighter."  

I was impressed.  He continues to amaze me with his observations and ideas.  It was a perfect day and a perfect beginning to his journey in the gospel.  Afterward, we had a very fun family picnic.  The weather was gorgeous (a little warm in the sunshine, but just right in the shade -with a slight breeze), the food was DE-Lish (catering from Jason's Deli), and the company was lovely.  We stayed for about four hours.  I went to bed so happy.  These are the days/moments that make everything else worth while.

Macers:
My Little Stinker Pot:
My Growing Boys (Spence & Kade):
Enjoying a Little "Arts in the Park" by Matt:
A little football:

Getting Ready to Rumble/Establishing a Baseball Game
Relaxing in the Shade:
The Cousins:

Liz even snapped a few pictures of me with my sweet girlie:


...Absolute Perfection!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I'm so glad you had such a great day. It is amazing how one year can change so much in a child. He sounds like a kid who knows the importance of what he's promising. Congrats! And good job!

Jackie said...

It was a great baptism. Austin looked so handsome in his suit- all grown up and proud. Looks like you had a blast at the park afterwards!

I'm so glad we know your sweet family.

Elizabeth said...

hey those pics of you and Paige are darling! I'm so proud. That was such a neat day. So glad that we could be there to share in it with you. Thanks again for all the pictures that you so graciously took and put on a cd for us. It's not like you have very much time! They are wonderful memories. (except for the sausage arm picture) I really appreciate and love you Emily!

Marianne said...

Wow. That's a big day. Baptism and 4th of July. He'll never forget when he got baptized. I can't believe he's 8 already. We're old. Way to go Austin.

Jen-ben said...

I"m so sad I missed all the fun. waaaaaaaaaah. Austin is awesome. :)