Saturday, November 8, 2008

Love Notes Come In Every Shape and Size

Growing up, Saturday was always "Wash Your Linens Day" at our house.  We would rip our sheets off our bed, take them to the laundry room, and my parents would wash them throughout the day, then give them back to us to put them back on the bed.  Before you think I was "too spoiled," I did my own laundry starting when I was about 10 (my mom taught us after Lisa and I flooded the laundry room attempting to wash our softball uniforms for picture day - but that's another story) but I think it was just easier for them to do all the sheets at the same time.  

I was a very busy teenager - which was good.  I was gone most weekend nights - out with friends, work (yes, I did work all through High School), choir performances, football games, basketball games, doing plays, homework, etc.  Sometimes I would leave before my sheets were done.  Usually, I came home to find them in a pile on top of my bed.  I have to admit that there were nights that I threw them on the floor and just slept on the mattress with a blanket.  Most of the time I sleepily made my bed and then fell into it.  

Occasionally, on magical nights, I would come home late, walk downstairs and realize to my horror that it was linen day, contemplating if I should take the time to make the bed or just sleep on top and make it tomorrow.  Then, I would walk into my room and see that my dad had taken pity on my busy, spoiled, teenage life and made my bed for me.  And always...ALWAYS...He left his signature - The bed was turned down.  It was like his own personal love note to me.  

Tonight, I took pity on my own children and let them play instead of help me.  I made the beds for them and left my own love note, thinking of my dad and how he still finds little things to do for me to show me how much he loves me. 
 

5 comments:

andrea said...

that is so sweet :) that is what makes family life. and now your children, when they are parents, will do it to their children. what a wonderful tradition your father started :)

Jen-ben said...

That's SO SWEET Em! Love your parents!

Jackie said...

One of my favorite things is climbing into a bed with clean, crisp sheets. I turn down the beds for my kids at night also. Just one of the small things I do. Sometimes I wonder if I am hindering my kids by doing things like that- will they ever learn how to make a bed or even turn down the sheets? LOL

Kristy said...

Dang. This post so reminds me of my own dad. He pulled sweet stunts like that all the time. He used to leave bubble bath, and candy hearts, and fancy dress up gloves on our beds for valentines day when we were young.

Michelle Arnett said...

I love this idea! Particularly the "kids making their own bed" part and, of course the love note signature