Thursday, June 26, 2008

Just Being Curious (or Nosy)

At what temperature do you keep your thermostat during the day? What do you do to try to save energy when it is 100 degrees outside?

I try really hard to keep ours at 78 degrees. I also keep our fans running around the clock (we have one in our bedroom and one in our great room), and we do have a rambler so I don't have to keep upstairs bedrooms cool. I admit that I have been known to take it down a notch or two in the late afternoon during sweltering days when our house starts acting like an oven. I also try to grill as much as possible so I don't have to turn the oven on, especially in those evening hours. Greg, however, would prefer it if we kept it at 68 degrees (okay, I'm exaggerating - 75 at the highest for him), so it does tend to creep lower on the weekends.

Any other tips???  This is what I would rather being doing if I have to endure this heat!

6 comments:

La Toya said...

During the day I keep it at 78. During the night I turn it down to 75. It has been so hot lately that over 76 is just to warm.

Jackie said...

oh my gosh. have tried to keep ours at 74. that is pushing it for us! spence likes a nice cool house. i need to buy some fans though to help. we keep the ceiling runs running in the bedroom and great room all the time too.

Colette said...

Oh my!! I try to keep mine at 74 or 75, but our condo is like an oven at night. Last weekend we had company and we had to turn it down to 68 and it was still hot in our front room.

Kimberly Porter said...

I've heard to keep your windows open at night and through the early morning. When it starts to heat up by mid-morning, close them and keep the blinds closed as well. I haven't tried it, but I've recently read it and it sounded good to me.

Laura said...

We actually keep ours at 79 or 80. I know, I know, but you have to understand my house and my husband. We have three temperature zones in our house. The basement is almost too cool. The middle floor is just about right (20ish foot ceiling and ceiling fan is always on) and the upstairs is pretty warm (again ceiling fans always on).

Boyd is not a big A/C person (I think it's the electric bills, honestly). He'd be ok if we just opened the doors and windows in the early hours of the day and then just closed everything up the rest of the day. That's what they did when he was growing up.

Anyway, we 'compromise' and keep it at about 79 or 80 like I said. :-) Honestly, the biggest trick is getting the kids to shut the door behind them!

Kristy said...

We have a swamp cooler (don't you hate that name?) So, sorry, no tips here!