Monday, June 9, 2008

Bird Sitting

Disclaimer: It is not that Greg and I dislike animals, but we are clearly NOT animal lovers. I know that people who are "Animal Lovers" do not understand people like us and think that we are incapable of compassion and love. I put up with poop, throw up, chocolate hand prints on the wall, bloody noses, multiple CDs in the DVD player, stepping on little cars or Polly Pocket girls in the dark in the middle of the night, snotty noses, and stinky, smelly kids because I LOVE THEM. There is not an animal on the planet that I love enough to enjoy that smell in my house.

This is what Greg signed us up to do for 3 weeks (we're one week down). His name is Max, and a lady at Greg's work went on "holiday" so we are watching the bird. It's really not that bad. But, he does squawk fairly loudly at times (it really upsets me when it's during Paige's nap). We now cover the cage with a sheet when we need him to be quiet. He says "hello" (in a British accent), "I love you," and sings "Old MacDonald" (it does the chirps). He does nip at us. It feels like a pinch, but I do have some bruises on my arm because of it (of course, I bruise if someone breathes too hard on me so it isn't a fair comparison). This woman absolutely LOVES this bird. She made me kiss him when she brought him to "visit" before he stayed (I didn't want to hurt her feelings, and I'm generally up for kissing at the drop of a hat, but kissing the bird was pretty gross). She lets him eat at the dinner table and he goes everywhere with her. I think Max is struggling a little because I obviously don't allow this. Our goal is just not to kill it (they cost a couple thousand dollars). He is absolutely gorgeous and I think we'll survive, but we definitely won't be purchasing one for our own.

10 comments:

Jackie said...

First- the pictures are gorgeous Emily. I am so glad to find out that you have a talking parrot living with you and not a "talking carrot." Claire kept going on and on about a carrot at your house. It took me forever to figure out what she was talking about. LOL Beautiful bird, but I hate birds. Ever since I saw the movie "The Birds" I am terrified of them. I always feel like I'm going to be pecked to death.....

Brian and Kim said...

Emily, You are a saint!! Besides my self entertaining cat. My limit is usually goldfish sitting. I tried to take on 6 brand new baby kittens that had to be bottle fed around the clock. Exhausting...

Brian's parents had a bird when I first met him. "Toby", he was so funny, he'd answer the phone when it rang singing the "hello" primary song, he sang "I lost my heart in San Fransico", and he'd holler for "Sandra" or "David" when someone walked in the door. His favorite treat was cheerios. They are fun pets but I am totally with you on not having one.

La Toya said...

I hate birds!!!!

Paige said...

That is a pretty bird, but I have to side more with my mom when she says her favorite animal is a dead one. I'm not really that extreme & neither is she, but we never had pets growing up & I am starting to see why. Good luck!

Elizabeth said...

Oh that is one of my favorite posts. I think that if a bird made noise during naps that would be it for the bird. Rather impressive on the British accent though. He is beautiful...but I can't stop giggling with the idea of you babysitting a talking bird.

Lindsay said...

Ha ha! I'm not a pet or animal lover either - although I DO love birds! He's a beaut!

Laura said...

Pretty funny! You are so good to do this. Both Boyd and I grew up with a dog and loved it. Somehow, though, we don't seem to want to get one now. Hmmmmm. However, now that you're so good at pet sitting, we do have this really cute guinea pig... :)

Andee said...

I totally agree with you! That's my reasoning too--I know I just wouldn't love an animal enough to willingly deal with all the messes etc. And no matter what the kids and husband promise it ends up being the mom's responsibility! Anyway, your comment on my blog hit it right on! I read ALL DAY today in my pjs. I am just at the part when Alice and Bella are trying to stop Edward in Italy. Edward doesn't die does he? Don't tell me... :)

Amber said...

I love that you kissed the thing! Did you wash out your mouth with soap afterwards?! I obviously am not much of an animal lover either.

Jen-ben said...

No wonder Tae hates that thing... :)