Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Draper Temple Open House


Last Saturday, we had the opportunity to take Austin and Macy (along with Greg's extended family) to the Draper Temple Open House.  It was insanity!  It took us three and a half hours.  We are extremely grateful to Lisa and Matt for keeping Paige since I cannot imagine the stress of hauling her through the temple for that length of time with all the crowds.  Having said that, it was a wonderful experience.  The kids were excited all week to finally go inside the temple.  After the video, Macy turned to Greg and said, "This place is so beautiful.  Thank you for bringing me here!"  All I could think was, "Please...please feel that way in about 20 years."  On the bus ride back to our car, both of our kids asked if they could go again before the dedication.  Macy's favorite part was the chandeliers (she told Lisa "That place is so sparkly"), and both of them were quite enamored by the sealing rooms and the large mirrors in which you can "see forever."  Austin started giggling when he pointed out that I was walking through the men's bathroom, and the gorgeous artwork completely captured them.  It is such a beautiful building and we had such a great experience sharing it with our kids.

After the tour, we entered the cultural hall of a nearby chapel for cookies and more artwork.  (I think the 14th Article of Faith should be "We believe in cookies.")  Macy took her cookie and water and sat right underneath a picture of Joseph Smith.  She just looked up at him and stared while she ate her snack.  She was adorable!  

If you have a chance, check out this blog, particularly the post on January 28th entitled "Bored and Lonely" (although her most recent post quotes Michelle and her touching thoughts on grief which is also an excellent read).  Molly, the author, lost her little girl, Lucy, about 8 months ago.  Her entire blog is so inspirational as she and her husband are struggling through their first year without their sweet little Lucy.  In "Bored and Lonely," she posted an email that she received shortly after Lucy died.  It is such a beautifully written explanation about how the temple changes lives - for now and for eternity.  It is such a sweet testimony of the temple and why we (as Latter Day Saints) build them and strive so hard to attend them regularly.  Enjoy (and take the chance to attend the open house if you are in the Salt Lake area - You won't regret it)!  

6 comments:

Brian and Kim said...

I'm so glad that your kids loved their temple experience. It is a very beautiful temple. I took my kids on a Monday morning and thank goodness it was very dead so we were in and out in an hour. (best thing for Cal)
BTW, love the 14th article of faith. So true!!

Jackie said...

Wow...I read the blog that you suggested and was in tears. I couldn't imagine going through something like losing a child. I think I would just roll over and die as well. I don't know how people get through it and I hope that I never have to experience it. Reading the email she posted made me feel grateful for my blessings. What an experience the girl had though. Thanks for the link!

Jana said...

Emma loves the temple too--once in awhile she asks to go, just to be in the visitors' center and walk around the temple. It makes me so happy, and today I was thinking exactly what you said: "please feel that way in 20 years!"

Alexie said...

Abby favorite part was also the cookies. She picked a chocolate cookie, found a seat, and listened to the music humming to herself and smiling. HER celestial room.

Jen-ben said...

I am so excited to go!!! Yay!

Jan said...

Hey, Emily. I checked out that blog and guess what--Molly grew up in our ward here in Rexburg. Her sister and two brothers and parents lived up the street from us until her parents got divorced a few years ago. I remember someone mentioning that Nancy's granddaughter had died--so sad.
Jan