Thursday, February 19, 2009

For Madeline

The title sounds like it should be a sweet, folk-style ballad dedicated by Simon & Garfunkel, but instead this is just an attempt to cheer up my little sister. Last week at school (in the barren iceland known as Logan, UT), Maddie tripped on some ice and fell. She shattered the bones just above her right wrist. She had to have surgery yesterday to repair the damage. They put a metal plate in her arm and nine screws - nine!!! Apparently, she was in the most horrific pain after the surgery. They gave her a ridiculous amount of morphine and still couldn't get her pain under control. They finally ended up giving her a couple of percocet (a few hours apart) and she was able to relax and sleep. They told my parents that the pain medication and anesthesia generally make patients emotional. For women, they generally cry a lot, and men generally get angry (hmmm...interesting). Apparently, she has been quite sensitive and cries at the drop of a hat.  My dad was teasing her about being a wimp, and she burst into tears.  Honestly Dad!  This is your fourth daughter - you'd think you would know better by now.  :) 

I sincerely hope Greg with forgive me, but these always cheer me up.  It seems impossible to cry when you look at these beauties!  I know this was all before your time (Happy 20th Birthday this weekend), but honestly, Don Johnson eat your heart out!  A few of my favorite things about these pictures: the California suntan, the pegged pants, the gold chain, the absolutely "To-Die-For" hairstyle, the fabulous dresses and "Big Hair" of all of his dates, holding his date and a teddy bear, the white gloves (did she have cooties?), and of course, the light pink tanktop!  (I sure love you, Greg!  You make me smile!  My high school dance pictures are almost old enough to enjoy as much as these - almost.)  Here's to hoping that you feel better soon, Mads!

9 comments:

Allyson said...

I love those! I will say that if anyone ever posted some of my "choice" 80's and 90's photos, I'd have to kill them. :) I'm so sorry for your sister! That sounds horrible! If this is disjointed it's because my volume is up really high and so I'm listening to your music and mine simultaneously. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On their own, their fine, but not at the same time! Anyway, I enjoyed your post and do feel really bad for your sister. I hope she heals quickly.

andrea said...

ah!!! haha! the last one is my favorite! these are great! i can't wait to look back at mine and see how much things have changed from my high school style to my kids' generation's style. Love this post emily!!

Colette said...

Those sure cheered up my night!!! Love em...

Greg said...

Why Emily? I thought you loved me. The past should stay just that... in the past.

Marianne said...

So funny. It's the flat top hair with the "bang" that gets me.

Lindsay said...

All I have to say is WOW!

And what is with having the girl sit on your lap? Kinda creepy.

Jackie said...

LOL! I can't wait to show these to Spence. It brings back so many memories... I love the white gym shoes and the sweaters. Too funny. And I've never seen a guy wear gloves before! Did I miss that fad?

Amber said...

Aaaahhh, so sad yet so funny! My favorite is the middle right- the girl's sleeves are bigger than her head! ("I love your puffy sleeves"- Napoleon Dynamite)

cami said...

Can't say I'm laughing at Greg's pictures cause they're from my high school era and mine look just like his! Big hair, white converse or vans, big puffy sleeves, pegged jeans, tan skin-WOW-takes me back in time about 24 years. Dang I'm feeling old right now... but I guess that makes Greg old too! Greg was such a looker! Loved the pics-thanks for sharing.