Thursday, January 15, 2009

32

I had a very relaxing, easy-going birthday full of visitors, phone calls, chocolate (lots of it), presents, and dinosaurs.  Austin woke me up with a singing card that he found hilarious (it was pretty funny) that he and Macy both signed.  Greg let me sleep in while he got the kids off to school, and then Jen showed up with my new apron (pay not attention to the drunkard behind the apron - honestly, Emily, open your eyes):
 
Isn't it adorable!?!  I've been wanting a full-length apron for a few years now, and she loves me so much that she made one for me (along with a card that was so sweet that I'm planning on having it read at my funeral).  My mom brought me lunch, and I think that if she were being really, really honest, she would have to admit that when she saw the apron she secretly wished that she had given birth to Jen all those years ago since her own flesh and blood didn't inherit her creative homemaking abilities.  :)

After that, Cami showed up with two mini bundt cakes from "Nothing Bundt Cakes."  The chocolate one was delicious, but the white chocolate raspberry was to die for!  Laura sent over yummy, gourmet chocolates, and Meagan sent an entire, homemade chocolate cake with homemade frosting covered with an abundance of chocolate shavings (in the previous picture, it looks like I made the cake, but it was all Meagan and it was heavenly)!  Kim lovingly brought over two sets of adorable green and yellow preemie onesies, hats, and booties.  Alexie topped off the evening by bringing over cupcakes with sprinkles.  Not to mention all the phone calls, email cards, and birthday wishes.  Thank you to all my wonderful friends and family.  I felt so loved all day long! 

I saw this in a Parenting Magazine and thought about asking for one for my birthday:

In case you can't tell, it is a bronze sculpture of a pregnant belly.  But, I wondered if a few people would find it uncomfortable if I showed up at the Relief Society Christmas Party with my bronze belly bowl full of Strawberry Spinach Salad.  So, I decided to ask for one of these:

Now I can grow my own herbs at home all year round!  Greg lovingly restrained himself and held in all the comments about how I am evolving into a hippie (it was my birthday after all) and picked one out himself.  It will take a few weeks to get it going, but if anyone needs fresh herbs, please don't pay those ridiculous grocery store prices, and just come on over and help yourself.  I'm so excited!  

Greg and I went out last weekend (nothing like Market Street halibut and hilarious friends for my birthday), so tonight I went out with my other favorite guy in the world - Austin.  We went to "Walking with Dinosaurs" at the Delta Center (or whatever it's called now).  It was really pretty incredible.  It was kind of like a live documentary.  There was a paleontologist (actor) that walked us through the different periods of the Dinosaur Age.  He was very engaging, and he talked about the different plant life, how the continents shifted, how scientists learned from different types of fossils, the vegetation, and how mountains and volcanoes formed and how it affected the dinosaurs.  Austin was old enough to be completely engaged and enthralled with the dinosaurs (of course) but all the science as well.  
These pictures aren't the greatest (I actually had to Photoshop a tomato seed that was hanging right off the end of my nose - classy), but you can see the teeth behind Austin.  It was actually a huge, black screen that reached to the upper level.  It would open up and the dinosaurs would come out onto the stage.  Some were small (baby T-Rex and there were three raptors - Austin's favorite) that had men inside of them (you could see their feet), but the other dinosaurs were huge - ginormous (as Macy would say).  The adult Brachiosaur reached all the way to the upper level and had to keep it's head down a little so it didn't bump into the lights.  The Stegosaurus plates lit up when it was about to be attacked by the Allosaurus; The two Torosaurus males fought to become leader of the herd; and the Mother T-Rex rightfully defended her baby against the Ankylosaurus and Torosaurus (cousin to the Triceratops).  It was pretty incredible, and so much fun to spend the evening with Austin!  When it started, I got a little choked up because I just love seeing my kids have the time of their life.  Don't worry - I quickly pulled it together because who cries when they walk with the dinosaurs?!?  This was the perfect ending to my birthday.

A few weeks ago, I told Greg that I feel like I've really aged this year.  He looked intensely at my face and said, "Yeah...I can see that."  Even though I wasn't really looking for a response (especially not that response), we laughed about it.  It feels weird that I can easily use the phrase, "I remember twenty years ago (or twenty-five years ago)."  And I can remember my own mother at my age.  She was also pregnant with her fifth.  The nice thing is that I feel a lot more comfortable with myself.  Maybe that is one of the blessings of getting older - acceptance.

I purchased myself a hot pink yoga mat for my birthday.  I've always used the gross ones at the gym.  I went to yoga today, and let me tell you, as if I don't feel awkward enough doing yoga, that awkwardness was intensified by a hundred when I tried to do yoga pregnant.  As I sat there, attempting to stretch, I decided to embrace my pregnant body and try to really enjoy the next four months.  This is the last time that I will ever experience this, and there really is something miraculous to grow a living being (or two) inside you.  These little boys are with me constantly, and I just adore them already.  So...I give you the 19-week belly along with the boobs that are on a hormonal loan before they deflate once again into nonexistence:    


Oh, and the winners of the Pay it Forward are Kristy, Maddie, and Paige.  Thanks for playing everyone.  So you three can expect something in the mail in the next week, and be thinking of some way that you can Pay It Forward as well.  I'll throw in an extra one for Mindi since it is her birthday today!  We shared so many about 20 years ago (see how easily I can throw that phrase around) that we might as well share "32" as well.  Happy Birthday, Mindi! 

And now...as Greg would say...I am in my thirty-third year.  Bring it on!

11 comments:

Jen-ben said...

Love all the pics! Especially the one of you and Austin!! It's so cute! And I'm so happy you like the apron. I have happily accepted your mom as my second. She can now claim to have a daughter who sews. :)
You're so loved...look at all the people who brought you gifts of love!!!

Marianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marianne said...

I messed up on my last comment so let's try again. You look so cute in your apron. Jen is so talented. Glad you had a good birthday and a fun time at the dinosaur show. How did you end up wrapping Austin's tickets?

Colette said...

Happy Birthday!! You look so cute with your tiny belly.

Mindi said...

Oh Emily! You are just adorable. No one will ever believe you have FIVE children. Amazing and inspiring. I loved the hormonal loan comment. I am also "indebted" and honestly cannot wait to give up the lease. Just wanted to send my to love to you. So glad to reconnect.

Mindi

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Emily! Wish I could've been there for your movie party. :-( You look fabulous and I am so glad to have you as a friend! Love you!

Alexie said...

So I TOTALLY think you should do the tummy bowl! First of all, this is your last chance, and second: a belly that held twins is definitely a thing to remember.... even bronzed.:o)

Anna B. said...

I wish I knew you in "real" life. YOu seem so FUN and down to earth. I am so happy for you and for your family. Happy belated Birthday.

Michelle Arnett said...

You make me laugh. . .belly laugh. I love you! You are so so darling and I love the apron!

Kristy said...

You look beautiful. Gotta love the "hormone loan" boobs. Mine have shrunk down to nothin' and they're stayin that way! Sad. James is sadder. It looks like you had a great birthday. You deserve it! I can't believe I won! I never win anything.

Lindsay said...

Happy late birthday! Love the apron Jen! And you look so cute preggy in it! I wanted to take my fam to walking with the dinosaurs so bad! The problem was that I wanted to see it and so did Daren and we have 3 boys who LOVE dinosaurs! I wasn't about to spend $500 for one night, oh well...