Monday, March 11, 2013

Livin' the Dream

This year, Paige's birthday fell on Thursday and Macy's on Tuesday. After some serious negotiating, I convinced them to combine their birthdays. On Saturday, we went to see Disney on Ice with our BFFs (Paige says that stands for "Best Forever Friend"). I questioned my ability to navigate the crowds at a huge arena with five little girls. It was madness. We held hands and plowed through the crowd. What I was not prepared for was the brilliant Disney marketing that preys on 6-year-old girls ($12 dollars for a snow cone - $12 for frozen water!!!). But, I prevailed. We all shared a large popcorn, but we managed to get out of there without a wand or glow-in-the-dark tiara or a pair of bejeweled Mickey ears, and (amazingly) no tears!

We had a blast!!! The show was adorable, and the girls were thoroughly entertained. Afterward, we headed to Jason's Deli for dinner and never-ending ice cream cones.


On Sunday, we invited all of our favorite people over for cake and ice cream. This is my first fondant cake. A Lalaloopsy cake, which is all the rage around our house! I am just as smitten with these adorable little dolls as my girls. The cake's a little bubbly in spots, but overall, I impressed myself. (On Saturday night, Greg delicately asked if I had a "backup." I could have punched him! But I really had no idea how it would go. It had all the makings of disaster. I did make WAY too much fondant-about double what I actually used. I'll do a lot of things differently next time, but I was so pleased!)

I should have taken a picture of the inside of the cake. It was just as cute! Paige wanted purple cake and Macy wanted blue. So, I made four 9-inch round cakes, and dyed two of them purple and two of them blue. Then, I stacked them alternating between the two colors. It was so cute and so yummy!

 

Of course, we couldn't celebrate Macy's birthday without Lisa's. I made her the most deadly peanut butter brownies. Seriously, one bite and you go into sugar shock. And it wouldn't be a birthday without a picture of Lisa with her eyes closed! When I was putting the kids to bed, Macy said it was a wonderful day. I completely agree!



No comments: