Sunday, March 6, 2011

Courage



We have had some sick kids the past week or so. Not terribly sick, just nasty coughs, runny noses, and Austin has "lost his lunch" a few times. As we discussed what to do about church today, we decided that none of the other parents want our boys in class with their kids just to pass on the ickiness. We decided that we would all go to Sacrament Meeting, and afterward I would bring the sickies home while the rest of the bunch stays at church. Our church starts at 1 o'clock. Normally, I put the twins down for a nap in the morning because otherwise they don't get one and they are definitely not old enough to not "get one" yet. But because I was going to bring them home after the first hour, I just kept them up throughout the morning.

As I was getting the twins into their church clothes and we were piling into the car with everyone, I wondered what I was doing. Why was I torturing these boys by taking them out of their comfy pajamas and into button-up shirts? Why was I purposely taking them to a place that requires reverence at the exact hour that they are normally just falling asleep? Why was I ushering our crew out the door only to return in an hour? My answer: To take the Sacrament. I was fasting (for a very good cause), and I felt I really needed to take the Sacrament today and renew my covenants with the Lord. So, with a smile on my face, we packed up the minivan and attended church together...as a family...so I could be obedient. (When church ran over by 15 minutes, and I had beyond-ornery babies all over me, each whine just begging, "For the love! Put me to bed!" I admit that I had a brief lapse of faith.)

When we sang the Sacrament hymn, I was very touched by the last verse:

As now we praise thy name with song,
The blessings of this day
Will linger in our thankful hearts,
And silently we pray
For courage to accept thy will,
To listen and obey.
We love thee, Lord; our hearts are full.
We'll walk they chosen way.

When we talk about trials and the "will of the Lord," so often we discuss the faith we need and the trust in "The Plan." While faith and trust are so important, even essential, I think sometimes we forget about the courage that it takes to truly accept the Lord's will and even more important when it comes to living it. So often, this life doesn't make sense and life definitely isn't always "fair." We live in a world where good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people. We want answers; we want explanations; we want reasons. Sometimes, we get them. More often than not, we don't.

Regardless, I believe that the Lord has a plan for all of us, and I believe that if we seek that path (or the "will" of the Divine), we will always find great love and peace. Once we discover that path, I think that is where the courage kicks in. Just believing is not enough. We have to find the strength and the courage to get up every morning and live the best life that we can. That is easier said than done. Some days, I give up before I even roll out of bed (and I have the blessing of having a strong, healthy body and mind). I think I will start praying for that courage. Courage to completely accept the Lord's will. Courage to do it with a grateful heart and a smile on my face.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Excellent. Thank you.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Also you should listen to ABBA Dancing Queen on your playlist, I was like, What the???

Jackie said...

Thanks for making me cry Emily...guess you knew what I needed to hear today. :-) Love you.