Sunday, April 25, 2010

2 of My Dreams This Past Week

Dream 1: Inner Struggle with Abandonment

I was in St. George with my family and some of our friends. We were driving down the main street. For some reason, Greg was in the minivan with our friends, and I was following them. I had my kids with me.

All of a sudden, the car started stalling, so I pulled over. I looked ahead and was expecting Greg and our friends to stop or turn around or something. They just kept driving. So, I got out my phone and tried texting and calling Greg, and he wasn't answering. I remember sitting there, watching them drive further and further away from me.

So, I got out and walked around the car. At this point, my car was my son's Razor scooter and my kids were nowhere in sight (but in my dream, this made complete sense and was not strange at all). This large crowd formed around my vehicle/scooter (you know how crazy busy St. George Blvd. is with all the pedestrians). There were business men in suits with their briefcases and mothers with strollers. I believe there was a man with his son in their baseball uniforms. You know - just a bunch of people. They were all gathering around, shaking their heads, and commenting: "Yep. You are definitely leaking radiator fluid." I looked down at my vehicle/scooter and saw green fluid spewing out of the back red wheel. Everyone was commenting and giving me advice on how to fix it. But, once they offered their advice, they went on their way. I was left, on the side of the road, watching my scooter ooze radiator fluid out of the back wheel.

Dream 2: Inner Struggle with Alcoholism

I was at the beach with my kids. Actually, only four of them. I only remember having one of the twins with me (maybe the other one was alseep or something - who knows). I was watching my other kids play and run around. I was going crazy trying to keep my crawling baby out of the puddles and eating sand. Every time I put him down, he crawled as fast as he could for the lake/ocean (still unsure of the exact location). I was paranoid that he was going to drown. I was completely exhausted trying to keep them all alive.

For some reason, it was kind of windy and cold too. But, I had a few towels out and a beach chair. I just kept rescuing by baby from the waves.

Finally, I see Greg walking up the beach. I was so relieved. He had two boxes - one in each hand. As he got closer, I realized that they were two silver boxes full of cans of beer. He set them down in the sand, sat down on the towel, and opened his refreshing brewski. As I was getting one for me, Macy ran up and was begging for a sip of his drink. We were both explaining how she cannot have some of Daddy's drink, and she was whining and throwing a fit and negotiating her point of view (probably the most realistic part of the dream). Finally, I turned to Greg, and said (feeling completely rational): "You know, if you are going to get beer for us, the least you could have done was get some soda for the kids." After taking a sip, he wiped his lips and looked at me and said, "Soda is so bad for you. They'll be fine."

I shrugged my shoulders and went to take a swig from my can. As I was doing this, I remember thinking: "Do I even like beer?"

Interpretations welcome.

5 comments:

Madeline Shaffer said...

Obviously Dream 1 means that you need a scooter of your own and Dream 2 means that your drinking is under control and not affecting the children. I see no need to worry!

Madeline Shaffer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexie said...

Yeah, Maddie's pretty smart. I'd trust her.

Jen-ben said...

You have the BEST dreams! lol

Matt and Lisa said...

I agree with Alexie...Maddie is pretty smart. I hear when she needs to know something she looks in books instead of talking to her parents! What a smart girl. We should always ask Maddie!