Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Decade from Hell

Just before Christmas, I was in Barnes and Noble when I saw the cover of Newsweek. It read, "The Decade from Hell." You know how it is at the end of year. You get lists and lists of Best/Worst. The year is pretty much analyzed and compared every which way possible. At the end of a decade, this scrutiny is magnified by about 100. Ever since I've seen that headline, I've been contemplating this first decade of the 21st Century.

I came to the realization that while "the world" (well represented by the editors at "Newsweek") may view the past 10 years as constant economical and social turmoil with mistakes at every turn, the past 10 years have been monumental in my little life.

At 12:01 a.m. on January 1, 2000 (when it became readily apparent that the world did not blow up or shut down or whatever Y2K was all about), I kissed my husband of (just over) 5 months. We were young, naive, stupid, broke, and blissfully happy. Our eyes were bright and hopeful and full of dreams for our "future." 10 years later, at 12:01 a.m. on January 1, 2010, we kissed again and then went to bed. We are still happy, but much, much more exhausted.

In the past decade, all five of my children have been born. Sometimes, I close my eyes and try to picture each individual hospital room and I try to recall those feelings of the moments that they were born. These four events, alone, have changed my life and my eternity in ways that go beyond words. No matter what happens from this point on, I will always be forever grateful that I have been given the opportunity to be a mother and bring these spirits into this world. The moments of their births are the most sacred, precious experiences of my life.

It just proves that no matter what is going on in the world, I believe that we can "make it" as long as I have Greg by my side and the love of my family. Hell??? If I'm being completely honest, there have been days. But overall, I would have to name it The Decade of Blessings. I am truly blessed. Now, I believe we are entering The Decade of Learning (or The Decade of Teaching - depending on how you look at it) as we try to actually raise these 5 kids that we've been given. (It could also be called The Decade of Patience. To quote my mom when she found out we were having twins: "If this doesn't teach you patience, then you must be a lost cause." So true!!!)

4 comments:

Alexie said...

i read that headline too, but only got through half the article- had to run and teach a class. i was intrigued to see what was so hell-ish about it as compatred to other times (great depression, viet nam, etc). From the part i read i took away that we all expected the "good times" to last forever and when life doesn't live up to expectations it seems worse than if we had known bad things were coming.

On my small personal level, i would also have to disagree. Alexie 2000-2010: Decade of Faith.

Andee said...

Wow, that was a really really cool post. It really is a great example of how it really doesn't matter what's going on in the world, as long as we make our little space on it a heaven on earth. Thanks, Emily!

Jen-ben said...

OH my goodness, you look SO YOUNG!!!! I love it!

Kristy said...

Well hello there! Beautiful post Emily. Thanks!