Thursday, September 17, 2009

How do I love thee, Let me count the ways...

I took Spencer and Kade in for their 4 month check up yesterday. Kade weighed in at 11 pounds 14 ounces and 23 1/4 inches. Spencer came in at 12 pounds 2 ounces and 24 3/4 inches. I really thought Spencer would weigh a lot more. He just seems so much bigger than Kade. Even the nurse was surprised. She thought he would be about a pound bigger. (They got shots and Kade didn't even cry. We just watched him, waiting for that wail, but it never came. Crazy!)

Anyway...I wanted to see how they were doing in comparison to my other children at four months. Amazingly, both Austin and Macy weighed exactly the same (12 pounds 13 ounces), but I couldn't find where I wrote down Paige's information. Back when I was not the mother of 5, I had calendars for each baby for the first year of their lives. Every day (or almost), I would jot down something that happened - either something that they accomplished or something fun or just a tender moment. I noticed that I quit about four months with Paige, but that was also the time that I started my blog. So, I went back to the beginning to see if I documented Paige's information. I didn't.

It was just about bedtime, so my kids were swarming around me with toothbrushes in their mouths and books in their hands and Greg was giving me the "Why do you have to do that right now?!?" look (it comes with rolled eyes and exasperated sighs). I was having a blast reading through the past two years. A few posts I remembered without reading, most of them came back to me as I read them or saw a picture, and some of them seemed totally new to me (like the time when Macy told me that she was so upset she would "never laugh again"). I fell in love with my blog, with everybody's comments, and especially with my life all over again.

Although I really enjoy writing, I was never very good at keeping a consistent journal. My blog has enabled me to do just that. I print off the posts and put them in a binder so that I have an electronic copy and a paper copy. I try to be very honest and write about the good times and the trying times. If my kids (and maybe their kids) really do read this one day, I want them to know that I am very much human. I find one-dimensional blogs so transparent (either way: too depressing and self-loathing or so blissfully happy).

So today I am grateful for blogger. I know that not as many people are blogging these days, but just reading through my 2007 archives makes me realize how much I truly love blogging and I should keep doing it. It is good therapy for me and a perfect spot for me to document our memories. I love you blogger.com!!!

While I'm documenting...Here is an update of my boys at four months:

Loves: Being held, swings, bouncers, cooing when spoken to, grabbing mom's hair, watching their mobile, baths, being outside, the ceiling fan, watching Baby Einstein videos (my life-saver), rolling completely over and over and over (Spencer), sleeping on tummy (Spencer), rolling on side (Kade), kisses on chin and neck, binks, sucking on fingers (Kade), sleeping with Mom, scratching his head (Kade), holding their hands together

Dislikes: Being left alone, messy diapers, having their eyes cleaned out (Kade), lotion, walking downstairs (Spencer - he gets all tight, puts his arms out, and cries), loud noises

Kade getting tortured with lotion by Paige:

New this month: I have had both boys sleeping in their bouncers on the kitchen table. I wrap them up tightly, buckle them up, and turn on the bounciness. This month, since Spencer tries to roll out of the bouncer, we moved both boys into the crib. I realized that I created two bouncer monsters. They fought the crib for the first week, but are getting so much better. We just put them down with a pacifier, cover them with a blanket, and turn on the mobile. They are such good boys and generally go to sleep. Sometimes, in the night, they'll wake up because one of them has turned around is is kicking the other one in the head (just like the womb). They generally skip one feeding in the night and go about six hours. We've also started going on more walks. I put one baby in the wrap and one in the double stroller with Paige. We've LOVED getting out!

Nicknames: Bence (coined by Paige), Mr. Spence, Spenceter
Kadester, Kincade

My favorite things: The constant cooing and the way they smile with their entire bodies. They get so excited and kick their legs, arch their back, fling out their arms, and smile! I love you Spencer and Kade!

5 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

What precious little people!

Marianne said...

They're just so cute! I promise I'm going to come up and see them. I'm afraid I have a one dimensional blog. Mostly just pictures and an explanation. You're so good with words and writing what you feel. I'm not so good with that. Keep it up. I love reading your blog.

La Toya said...

It is so hard to tell them apart by the pictures. What a cute family you have!!

JK said...

They're just gorgeous, Emily!

kto1s said...

Oh Emily--they are simply perfect!