Thursday, June 18, 2009

Survival of the Fittest

I was born first.

14 months later, God gave me Lisa. I don't remember life without her, and I can't imagine life without her. We balance each other out.

Three years later, Alexie arrived with a head full of wild black hair. She was our little papoose. She also arrived with more talent in her little finger than most of us have in our whole bodies, and God somehow gave her the energy to accomplish whatever she imagined in her amazing brain. A few years later, God gave her Gavin. Alexie needs someone to take care of, and Gavin came into this world needing someone to take care of him (it was a rough first few years for him). Gavin came with a relaxed soul who lives life on his own timetable. They have a special, unique bond. They balance each other out.

Five years later, God blessed this world with Madeline. Maddie wasn't just the icing on the cake, she was the chocolate syrup, whipping cream, colorful sprinkles, and a bright, red cherry on top. She was so much fun! She still is. It was as if she was given to all of us to say, "Don't take everything so seriously. Smile. Laugh. Have some fun." (She often accomplishes this by speaking in indistinguishable dialects.) We all adore her!


Lisa is my opposite. She is everything that I am not:
I like to be out and about; Lisa is a homebody.
I am a worry wart; Lisa is relaxed.
I analyze everything to the death; Lisa quietly observes.
I have anxiety; Lisa lets things roll off her back.
I love talking to people; Lisa doesn't even like ordering pizza over the phone.
I don't like to let my guard down; Lisa loves to be the goofball.
I like vanilla-based ice cream products; Lisa prefers chocolate-based.
I am not a napper; Lisa lives for naps - Naps with big, fluffy blankets and perfect pillows.

My dad loves to tell the story about when we were babies and sharing a room in our small house in Hunter. He said that he would lie in my bed with me until I fell asleep at night, and inevitably Lisa would be standing up in her crib, holding onto the bar with her eyes poking over the top. Not crying. Not begging to get out. Just standing there. Awake. Observing. Always observing. I always went to bed easily, but wasn't great at napping. Lisa was an excellent napper, but preferred to stay up at night. (Isn't it funny how our habits are established at such an early age?)

Well, Darwin may have been right, because I've found that with two little babies, I need to evolve in order to survive. For the first time in my life, I have officially become a napper.

I'm very good at it. Whenever I have 20 minutes, I'll sit in the recliner with a baby or two on my chest and I can fall asleep in a matter of seconds. Other times, I can easily turn my brood over to my amazing friends that come over to help in shifts, and I can be out before my head even hits the pillow. The time of day is irrelevant. I can sleep whenever, wherever. In a way, I'm very excited about this evolution. I'm becoming more like my sister.

I'm just amazed at how imperceptible personal evolution can happen. We adjust because we have to. My babies cry at 2:30 in the morning because they need food, and I have no choice but to get up and help them. Then we do it all again a few hours later and a few hours after that. Therefore, I learn how to function on less sleep and how to catch up on my sleep throughout the day.


Somebody asked me the other day if it has been as bad as I anticipated. Anticipation is an interesting thing. For all my worry and concern, I didn't take into account how much I would like Spencer and Kade. I really do like them. I like the feel of a head resting on my shoulder. I like the cooing and purring as they are falling asleep. I laugh at all the grunting while they sleep. I like the way they grasp my finger with their little hands while they eat or when they need comfort. I even like the way that Kade slurps his bottle. I like them. Everything else that comes with having an incredibly dependent infant (or two) is totally worth it and not that big of a deal.


I like all my kids. Not a day passes that each one of them doesn't bring a smile to my face. That smile is usually accompanied by a laugh. As my sister says, "It's a good thing your kids are so funny." And they are!

Alexie and I watched Austin play dog with Abby for a half an hour last night. He chased the ball she threw, sat, rolled over, barked, etc. His reactions to her demands made her giggle and clap. It was adorable!

When Lisa brought Cash over, Macy let her know that she wasn't going to make fun of him. When asked why she would make fun of him, she said that it was because of his name. We asked her again, and she said that Cash means something else, and it isn't really a name. We asked her what it meant, and she said, "It's really a food." What?!? And her new adjective is "romantic." Everything is romantic. A lady at Greg's work gave him a glass butterfly (pronounced "bufferfly" if you are Paige) and Macy put it on the fridge, stood back, and said adoringly, "Isn't it romantic?" When I asked her what romantic means, she said, "Very beautiful." Hilarious!

Paige. Miss Paige and Dora the Explorer. Paige has been terrified of the lady that comes to clean. Laura is very nice, but whenever Paige sees her, she bursts into tears. Laura's second language is English, and she so sweetly calls me "Lady." So Paige says, "I no like Lady." I've tried explaining that Laura is very nice, but she wouldn't listen. So, the other day, Laura was cleaning Jen's house while Paige was playing with Taelyn. Apparently, Paige worked up her courage, walked up to Laura and said, "Hola" over and over again. I guess the term "Politically Correct" doesn't mean much to a two-year-old.

I like them. I really do. I feel so blessed to have a house full of these little people that make me smile. I am surviving, and even surviving happily (most of the time). As for Darwin...Well, I think Milton Berle said it perfectly: "If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?"

Once again, photos courtesy of this talented lady.  (Check out her latest wedding.  Incredible!)

4 comments:

Marianne said...

The babies are so cute. I need to come see them. We'll be in your neighborhood on Saturday. What are you up to? Also, I have not seen Gavin or a picture of Gavin since he was like 12. He looks so old!

Karin. said...

I understand the dialects :)
I often speak them myself!

Jen-ben said...

I love all of the stuff about you and lisa. It's so...so...sisterly. :) And I'm still so amazed how well you're dealing with all these babies. :) You'r'e awesome!

Paskins Family said...

You are a great writer. It is fun to see your whole family. I remember Gavin and Madeline when they were just little. Wow. Times have changed. I bet they love you so much. You are an awesome sister.