Monday, February 25, 2013

Tradition!!!

I'm not the greatest at traditions. I have a very hard time with anything that requires me to do the same thing at the same time (taking a daily medication...exercising...flossing). But, I have tried to establish some fun traditions so that kids actually have some happy memories of their childhood. 

My gift from Greg. Beautiful bouquet of flowers
(Paige helped him pick them out, therefore, they are all purple)
and 36 ounces of (my favorite) Cadbury Mini Eggs
(we like to intertwine our holidays around here)!
All I'm going to say is that the flowers outlasted the chocolate (by a long shot)!!!  
The kids all wake up to a candy poster.

A few years ago, I planned a romantic Valentine's dinner for Greg. (We are really not great at this holiday - never have been. It fell in the middle of the week, and instead of hiring a babysitter, I decided to cook it myself.) I set a candlelit table, put the kids to bed early, and dished up some filet mignon and king crab legs (if only we'd have eaten pizza for dinner, it would have been a complete meal of his favorite things). The kids, however, did not stay in bed. They wandered out, individually, asking for "just one bite" of crab. So, in the years that have followed, I have prepared crab legs for my entire family as our Valentine's Day tradition.

Since I don't own a tablecloth (that's right! my poor grandmother just rolled over in her grave), I borrowed one from my mother (along with her crystal goblets and my grandmother's china). We had a yummy dinner of sparkling cider, salad, bread, crab legs, and red/white heart-shaped pasta. The kids had a blast, and it was absolutely delicious!!!


Trying to crack open her claw.



Fizzy!



Not quite grasping the concept!



2 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I love crab! I'm heading to your place for next Valentine's.

Jackie said...

You're such a good mom to do these things! My kids would never eat crab though- we'd definitely do pizza!