Sunday, June 6, 2010

Peace and Quiet: New Meaning

My mother always had a beautiful flower garden in the front of our house and a vegetable garden in the backyard. I remember talking to her from our 2nd floor deck while she weeded her strawberries in the warm summer sun. Although I definitely grew up appreciating a small garden and fresh flowers, when I was a child/teenager (and even Young Adult), I could not understand her draw to the work itself. I have found that preparing soil and planting consume several hours for days (or even weeks, in my case). After the planting, you have the upkeep: the watering, weeding, pest-control, etc. I remember several summer evenings when my mother would stand outside and water her garden. It would take 20 minutes to a half an hour (in other words, a veritable eternity to a teenager). I used to feel so sorry for her that she had to stand outside...alone...in silence...with nothing entertaining to watch, and just water plants. Honestly, how BORING!

Last night, I had my three youngest in bed and the older two were showered and ready for bed. They were just reading and drawing and trying to stall bedtime. I went outside and watered my newly planted flowers and plants for a good half an hour. It was so enjoyable. After a hot, busy, productive day, it felt so good to stand outside in thegorgeous weather of a Spring evening and just take it all in. I didn't feel like I was escaping my kids (the "work" of kids was done for the day), but I think I am beginning to better understand the peace that comes from having and tending a garden. While I was outside, I don't think one car drove by, and most neighbors were already in for the night (although Claire and I did discuss the misfortune that occurs when cold air hits a baby boy during a diaper change), and I just stood there, listening to the birds and sprinklers and pondering the past day and the upcoming day. Peace and quiet...ahhhh.

Moral of the Story: I truly am aging. But, I think I'm okay with it.

Of course, with all the help I have, you might ask yourself why I even need peace and quiet:

9 comments:

Bryce & Cherise said...

Wow what good helpers you have there! :) Too bad they can't reach the upper cupboards! Just give 'em a stool and you'll be good to go! ;)
I am loving gardening! I thought the Same thing growing up-Boring!!! But having my own to take care of feels therapeutic --to be able to get down on my hands and knees and stick my hands in mud...hoping that it'll get even better when I have kids and need a little more quiet time. :)

Jackie said...

I totally understand with the watering the plants/garden thing. I also enjoy it when I do it. And I don't think that means you are getting old...

And oh my! Are you getting nervous what things those boys will get into when they are a bit older?? i don't know how you do it Emily. I admire you. :-)

Jackie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

That was me that deleted comment cuz I had posted it twice. :-)

Xazmin said...

I LOVE those pictures!

And the visual your words bring to mind. You should be a writer. For real.

I can't believe how big those little cuties are getting, and boy do I appreciate the peace and quiet as well! I think that's why I'm such a night owl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen-ben said...

I've been thinking the very same thing about gardening! I remember my mom loving gardening and thought it was just weird. She'd get up early and go out side and weed, then she'd yell up to my open window to get up and come help her. I wish I would have. :)
If you aging, you're doing it beautifully. Just look at you...you look like you're 22.

Colette said...

Emily- they are adorable...I don't know how you keep up with 2 of them.
We sure miss you guys.

Michelle Arnett said...

No seriously, I love this post. I hadve a garden, I don't know why, it's not profitable at all, but I think it's because I like to have that escape from the craziness:)! love love love the pictures