Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Answer to World Peace: Chore Charts

Okay, maybe not "World Peace," but it certainly has helped keep the peace in our house lately. We've always had chore charts. Greg makes fun of me for all the charts that have been in and out of our house. We've used stickers, envelopes (you "transfer" the card between envelopes when you've finished), etc. It works wonders for several months, then it loses it's flare and we have to go back to the drawing board and try something new. When I had the twins, I just didn't have the time/energy/ability to put my plan into action. My kids still did chores, but they weren't technically "assigned." I would just ask the kids to unload the dishwasher or vacuum their rooms.

About a month ago, we instituted this new system, and it has made a HUGE difference when it comes to the overall feeling of our home. The problem that I have with most charts is that I do not need the same thing done every day. For example, Monday is laundry day. So, I need clothes sorted on that day, but not the rest of the week. I need clothes put away on Tuesday, but not the rest of the week. So, I came up with this idea. It isn't fancy or cute but it works (for us)!

We (and by "we," I mean Greg) mounted a white board in the hallway. I printed out the kids names, and every night before I go to bed, I write down the chores that need to be done the next day. When the kids are done with their chore, they erase it. (My kids do not get paid for their chores. If they ever whine about it, they get a very long lecture on the importance of family, what it means to belong to a family, and how we need every member to do their part in order to keep our home running smoothly. If they continue to complain, I offer to trade chores with them. I've never had anyone take up my offer. But, I do put extra "paying" chores along the top of the white board.)


If all their chores are erased by the end of the day, they get to "move the diver" (see chart below):

I simply googled "incentive charts" and found this one on Super Nanny website. I printed it out and attached a magnet to the diver. We put a bunch of fun activities in a jar, and we pulled one out and put it at the top of the chart. When they get to 20, they earn the fun activity. (After it was up for a few weeks, I looked more closely at the chart and realized that the mermaid was topless with far too many details. I used a Sharpie to transform the chart from R-rated back to G-rated. Makes you wonder about those British morals. Totally kidding - about the morals, not the nudity. She really was naked.)

It isn't perfect, but I cannot believe how much this system has impacted our home. It has taken 90% of the arguing out of doing chores which has helped to keep the peace, but on some bigger level, it has just helped the kids do better in every aspect of their lives. I started noticing that if Austin gets up and gets his chores done before school, he actually does better at school. Not only does he get in less trouble with his behavior, but he seems to have better focus and concentration. When Macy gets her chores done early, she seems to be a happier, nicer friend, and I get a lot less "attitude" from her. And Paige just wants to be a part of it, so she does things that aren't even assigned to "fit in" with her older brother and sister. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering that she is only two. She unloaded the silverware (on her own accord) the other day. (Too bad the dishes hadn't been washed yet.)

The kids earned a trip to the Children's Museum, so we took them yesterday. They all had a ton of fun, and Greg and I didn't do too badly on one of our first true outings with 5 kids.


Paige made fake sandwiches in the fake deli at the fake grocery store for 25 minutes:


Then she tended a fake garden and fed fake vegetable to a fake horse for another 25 minutes:


The real Austin helped the real Paige plant fake flowers in a fake flower box in front of the fake house:

Spencer, standing up backward in his carseat in the stroller - bouncing up and down and aching to get down and crawl all over the place (yes, he's got the knee/hand coordination down now):


Kade found a way to play:

Austin (I love the tongue):


7 comments:

Jackie said...

I may have to steal your idea. I have realized that my kids are lazy and do absolutely nothing to help out and contribute to our household. I even have to get them dressed in the morning- literally! (Well- not Nathan..) I am definitely doing them a dis-service. I just get frustrated at the complaining so just do it myself. It's easier. Plus I can never think of enough chores for them to do. Guess I will have to teach them how to do more things so I won't have that problem!

You are so great to do this with your kids. :-)

Lindsay said...

My kids get the same lecture around here about not being paid for chores. We don't pay you to be a part of the family and help out!

Shauna said...

I love the simplicity of your new system! My boys are great about doing their chores if there's a list for them to look at. I'm still trying to find something that works for us though. I saw the cutest magnetic chore chart ever a while back...but trying to find the time to do something crafty is just not happening. So then I found customized chore charts online that you print off every week.....the kids loved them, but I find that I put off actually getting them printed. We just might try the dry erase board. Thanks for sharing your great idea!

Alexie said...

ah! i love the childrens museum and have been meaning to go forever but forever never seems to come. I guess i should just pick a date and put it on the calendar... or send my kids with you. what's 7 when you already have 5? :o)

Amber said...

We love chore charts at our house!

What settings did you use on your camera at the children's museum? Your shots look awesome! When we were there last month, it was so dark I couldn't get any good pictures. I'm still learning how to use my camera, so I need your secrets!

Marianne said...

What a good idea. We need to do something with Clara. Maybe I'll steal your idea. I love Paige's shirt that she wore to the museum. So cute!

Valerie said...

Good chore chart idea! =)