Saturday, April 4, 2009

Magnifying Her Calling

I've been wanting to post for a while now about Paige's amazing Nursery leaders.   Actually, all of my kids have incredible Primary teachers, and we are so grateful for all of them and all the sacrifices that they make on behalf of our children.  But, I am impressed beyond belief every, single week with Sister Reynolds and how she runs that nursery.  Now, our incredibly talented neighbor Meagan was just put into Nursery.  What lucky kids!

I have substituted a few times, and it seriously runs so smoothly that the time just flies.  Every week, Sister Reynolds prepares a lesson with elaborate handouts.  Those kids sit around the table and actually listen to her!  They learn the lesson and Paige can actually tell me what they learned that day.  And snack time - WOW!  One week, when I was subbing, she brought a juice that she made from blending up a jar of canned peaches (one of my mom's favorite treats).  She usually has a fresh fruit and some crackers or fruit snacks.  There are always several options for the kids.  They sit around the table, take turns blessing the food, and are taught polite manners while they eat.  It is the most adorable social experience to witness.  

A couple of weeks ago, we missed church because of sickness.  Who showed up Sunday night with a lesson handout and a hug - Sister Reynolds.  She wanted Paige to know that she was missed.  Seriously, I was shocked when I opened the door.  Paige was so excited too, and Macy kept saying, "Paige, it's your teacher!  It's your teacher!"  Such dedication and love for these kids!

Another thing that Sister Reynolds does for all of the children is a Spotlight.  She asked the parents to fill out an information sheet, and then she creates this incredible poster that tells all about them.  It includes information like her family members, favorite foods, favorite holiday, favorite things to do (in different seasons), favorite color, favorite book, favorite show, etc.  I keep it in Paige's room, and my kids absolutely love to get it out and look at it.  


I think that there is a tendency (even by myself) to think that these kids are so little that they won't remember any of this so why go to so much work every week?  As I have thought about this, two things come to mind:  
  1. They probably won't remember the specifics of a lesson or the routine or the snacks, but these leaders are giving these children a foundation of gospel principles (i.e., Jesus created the fish.  I am thankful for the fish.).  More importantly, they are giving them opportunities to feel the Spirit and pure love of Christ each and every week.  
  2. These women have hearts that have truly been converted to Christ, and therefore they will serve to the very best of their ability regardless of their calling.  It doesn't matter that they are practically babies.  The Lord has called on them to love and teach, and they do it with wonderful ability and inspiring faith.  I am so grateful to these women who inspire me to do better and shine in whatever the Lord asks of me. 

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I love to hear stories about people who really magnify their callings and make a difference in the lives of the people they serve, even if those people are very young! Happy Conference weekend!

Jackie said...

I have also heard so many good things about Sister Reynolds. The kids are so lucky!

I wanted to tell you I'm so glad that you played at the piano recital! It was beautiful. I was thinking just a few weeks ago when I was looking at the recital flyer that it would be cool if the kids could hear you play. So it was a nice treat. And thanks for your hard work in teaching piano. You're great!

Colette said...

She is awesome.. I laminate some of the handouts Leyton brings home and use them in sacrament. She even makes Leyton his own special plate for snacks because he's picky and has some food allergies. I never worry about it cause she is so on top of it.