Friday, December 23, 2011

Alf Gifts

Every year, we have what I like to call "Alf Gifts." When I was in college, my little sister was in 1st grade. Madeline was such a shy, reserved little girl, but she has always had a big heart. At Christmastime at her elementary school, they set up a little store where the kids could purchase gifts for friends or family members for super cheap. Maddie took her own money and bought a gift for myself, Lisa, and Alexie. On Christmas morning, she wanted all of us to open it at the same time while she hid behind my mom. So, on the count of three, we all ripped open a plastic Alf keychain. It was a very tender moment and hilarious moment at the same time. We all tried so hard not to laugh (because Maddie was so sensitive about being laughed at), and we all gushed at our gift to an adorable little girl who didn't even know who Alf was. I still have the keychain in my drawer, and it means so much to me. So, whenever someone gives a gift truly from the heart (without realizing the hilarity of the situation), I am reminded of the Christmas of the Alf keychain.


This year, Macy brought this card home from her school party. She picked it out for Paige because Paige LOVES penguins. She has had the obsession for years!!! So, clearly, Macy hand-picked this card with her sister in mind. It was so sweet and thoughtful.

Then, Macy asked us to read it outloud to Paige. So, I read what Macy had written (so carefully in her alternating red and green marker). Then, Macy asked me to read the words that were already written. That's where the Alf moment came in. I did my best not to laugh, and the situation was completely lost on Macy.

I absolutely love it! Merry Christmas everyone. May your day be filled with peace, happiness, and a little Alf.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

priceless!

Chug35 said...

I don't even remember giving you three Alf key chains but I must say that that is an awesome gift to recieve!

Jana said...

That is so cute and tender!! Your daughters are adorable...