Friday, September 2, 2011

Irrational Fears

So, the other night I walked in the door about a half hour after bedtime to find Paige crying. I picked her up and asked Greg what was wrong. He related the following experience:

Paige (running to Greg and screaming): Macy just punched me in the stomach.

Greg: Why did she punch you in the stomach?

Paige: Because I wanted to know what it felt like to be kicked by a goat.

When we finally got her calmed down (and we both stopped laughing), Paige explained how she was terrified of goats. If she sees one outside, she's just going to run inside as fast as she can. And if she knows if she hears really loud knocking on the door, then it just "has to be a goat."

As a result, she now has to sleep with her door cracked open just in case a goat gets in the house. She wants to know right away so she can take the proper precautions.


* * *

When Austin was about 3 or 4, he developed a deathly fear of scorpions. It did not matter how many times I explained that scorpions do not live in our region (I even checked out books at the library with maps), every night we would go through this routine to get him in bed (and un-convince him that he will be stung by a scorpion in the night). One night, I was so exhausted, that I stopped trying to rationalize. I just grabbed this little, plastic, red hammer toy and handed it to him. I told him it was his "Scorpion Killer." Every night, he would set it up right next to his bed (for easy access), and he slept with the "Scorpion Killer" for years!!!


* * *

What irrational fears have you (or your kids) developed over the years?

5 comments:

Alexie said...

:o)

About every other night, Max is afraid of monsters. We've explained they don't exist, or live near us. Solution: his stuffed animal wolf at the door to keep watch and "bite their monster heads off" as Max says.

For Abby, also afraid of monstersa around age 3, we would purge her room with Monster Spray (a spray bottle filled with water that I used for ironing). Closet, under bed, and out in the hall just to make sure they didn't try to sneak up the stairs.

Marci said...

Goats!!! hahaha, that kills me.

A few months ago, McKenzi was afraid of mice getting in her room. She wasn't afraid they would bite her, but she was convinced they were going to chew her hair off so it made her look like a boy!! Thankfully it only lasted a couple of nights.

Alexie said...

Oh, and trolls. I forgot. :o)

Jana said...

I love both of those stories. SO. MUCH. Emma has a plethora of irrational fears, but they're not usually consistent. Last night she was afraid that somebody would try to force her to drink alcohol.

lannie_rae said...

I was always worried the house was going to catch on fire. I shared a room with two other sisters so the room was always messy, before I would go to sleep I would make a little pathway from my bed to the door and from my bed to the window so in case a fire started I would have quick access.
I was also afraid of things in the closet but that is because my mother made me scared of them. She didn't like having the closets left open with everything spilling out so she told me that mosters came of out opened closet doors. Nice Huh?