Friday, May 28, 2010

Macyisms

This girl cracks me up on a daily basis! I keep thinking that she'll grow out of it (which will be a very sad day), but it hasn't happened so far. It may be that she is always talking and her thoughts are verbalized instead of kept inside. Whatever it is, I hope it never stops. You spend a few hours with her, and I will guarantee that she will put a smile on your face. Here are a few of her latest (that I can remember):


My parents came over for FHE last Monday. We had a really great night. We made family trees and then we each took turns sharing interesting stories about each other. My mom brought pictures from her childhood and my dad brought his cub scout book he made. They also brought stuff for smores. We started the BBQ, put the marshmallows on the sticks, and put them over the grill. We handed one to each of the kids to hold over the grill and get perfectly brown and crusty. With a giggle in her voice, Macy said, "Look! I'm smore-ing."

* * *

Every summer we fight a battle: Human vs. Snail. I cleaned out our flower beds the other day and planted some flowers. It was a lovely day. I put the boys on some blankets in the yard (which they stayed on for a good hour because of their hatred of grass). I dug all the holes, Macy poured in some water, and Paige and Tae stuck the flowers in. Macy followed the girls and patted the flowers down with dirt. (Then, I sneakily followed Macy and just "made sure" that each flower was actually planted.) Later on, Macy and Claire took the girls and the twins on walks. Everyone was happy and content for hours.

However, throughout the course of the day, I found several snails. I have trained my girls to rejoice when we see worms in our garden and despise the snails. This morning, Macy came running in the house in a panic. "Mom! A snail ate one of your big, red flowers." I said, "How do you know? Did you see it?" She said, "Yes. But I couldn't catch it. It got away - fast!" Puzzled, I said, "Well, I wonder if it was a snail because snails usually aren't very fast. They move very, very slowly." With a shrug, she replied, "I tried to catch it, but it just snailed away."

* * *

Macy's kindergarten class sang a song at a school meeting the other night - kind of as a "Welcome" to the meeting. They were adorable! It was an old Janeen Brady song (for those of you who were Mormon growing up in the 70s). When we were leaving, Macy said, "I'm going to sing my 'la la' song." Greg asked, "Your 'la la' song?" She said, "Yep. All we do is 'la'."

* * *

A few weeks ago, over breakfast, Macy made the following observation. (Keep in mind that she did not in any way say it snotty or bratty, she was merely making an observation. It was the same as if she would have said, "Hey, you're wearing a yellow shirt today.")

"Mom it's kind of like you're a maid, but you're really a mom. It's like we are the kids that own a maid. But, we're really kids who own parents."

* * *

And one from Austin: "How come we can't have chicken for the sacrament?"

2 comments:

Jan said...

I have to say Austin's got me laughing out loud!

Jen-ben said...

hahahahahahahaha, ah, your kids.....