Sunday, December 20, 2009

Secret Santa

Last week, for FHE, we watched President Monson's address from the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. Although it was actually Elder Uchtdorf's message that really "spoke" to me, President Monson is the perfect speaker for young children because he's full of stories (Modern Day Parables). He spoke about service at Christmastime. It was a beautiful talk. I've found that we take advantage of service outside of our home at Christmastime, but that we are lacking when it comes to service within the walls of our home. So, we decided to initiate Secret Santa with our little family. Austin, Macy, Greg, and I drew names and promised to provide a little service for that person until Christmas. We agreed that we would all serve Paige and the twins.

Even though it is supposed to be "secret," there are really only four of us. As if that wasn't easy enough, I'm also dealing with an 8-year-old and 5-year-old who still don't fully understand the concept of whispering. So, without admitting it, and much to Austin's dismay, we all know each other's "Secret Santa." It's been fun. Austin has been doing a lot of extra chores around the house to serve me. Macy considered unloading the dishwasher for Austin while he was at school, but backed out when she considered the amount of work. Instead, she drew him some pictures and left them outside the bathroom while he showered. (We're working on her.)

Probably the most fun so far has been a little name poem that Greg wrote for Macy on the bathroom mirror. Using a pink crayon (her favorite color), he wrote her name vertically down the center of the mirror in big, block letters. Then, he used the letters in her name to write a word. She is in love with this idea! The other day, I walked past the bathroom to find her sitting on the counter, "reading" the words again, and carefully touching them. (We're working on her.)
The funniest though is that Austin copied this idea for his Secret Santa. The next day, I found this next to Macy's name:
Obviously, my favorite part of that is "pippy." I may never wash my mirror again just to preserve that one! Then, I found this on my mirror:
Just in case you are wondering, that last word should be read as "juicY." Apparently, according to Austin, it is because I "like juice." Greg, on the other hand, is thrilled to have such a juicy wife. I did inquire about the L - "yelL." Really!?! And does anyone else see the irony in the fact that the word above it, the I, reads "nIce?" When I asked Austin about it, he smiled sheepishly and told me that he couldn't think of another word to go with L. I quickly suggested "Lovely" or "BeautifuL." He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well...You do yell."

You may imagine that I would be embarrassed by this or feel the need to defend myself. Let me assure you, I am embarrassed and I am this close to installing Nanny Cams all over my house then frequently posting the video to drive the point that I do yell on occasion, but not ALL DAY LONG! However, I will refrain and just be grateful that I no longer need to come up with a New Year's Resolution. Do you think it is possible for me not to yell all year long so that next year a positive "L" word could replace "yelL" in my mirror poem?!?

I love these little monkeys! They sure keep me smiling (and apparently yelling)!

5 comments:

Alexie said...

Curtis and i are almost crying laughing!

This is SUCH a great idea. Curtis and Abby just might get name poems on thier mirrors tomorrow... or the next day; it's late. Paige IS "pippy" and you ARE "juicy" i'm sure! i'll let greg be the judge of that.

Shauna said...

That is so cute! Love the idea of service within our own homes....we don't focus on that often enough either. Don't feel too bad, "yell" would have made my list too....although it would have probably been "scream" or "shout" since I dont' have an L in my name....."yell" sounds better!! ;-)

Jackie said...

So cute and such a good idea! I love those pics of the kids- they are so adorable. And tell Austin to come to my house if he wants to hear real yelling all day long... :-)

Jen-ben said...

I love that idea! I want to do that!

Jen-ben said...

By the way, I love that your L is for Yell. That always makes you feel like good mom. :)