Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Thursday Sampler

Last night, Macy came up to me and said, "Wanna see what Austin showed me?" Then she stuck her tongue out, held it with her hand, and said "Apple." Fabulous.

* * *

Since the kids are out of school today, Greg and I spent a lazy morning in bed with five kids climbing in and out. It was so relaxing to lie there and enjoy my kids. They were playing a lively game where Macy was the dog, Paige was the Mom, Austin was the dad, and Greg was the "honey" (kid). Austin was searching for a few brownie points (which he desperately needed - see previous "Apple" comment), so he decided to change Spencer and Kade's diapers so we could stay in bed. A few hours later, I picked Kade up to discover that his side was soaked. So, I decided I would put the boys in the tub with the girls. As I stripped Kade's clothing, I discovered that Austin put the diaper on backward. No wonder it wasn't working properly. Good intentions though, Bud, and quite tricky to fasten the diaper in the back!

* * *

Greg took Austin to piano lessons on his way out to run some errands. As usual, Austin was moving "like molasses in January" (to quote my husband). Finally, Greg announced that it was time to leave. Austin jumped up and Greg said, "What is wrong with your socks?" He lifted Austin's pant-leg to discover the heel of the sock halfway up his leg. Austin was wearing Greg's socks. Hilarious!

* * *

Paige is starting to say her own prayers. I love them. She covers the usual bases: Mom, Dad, Austin, Macy, and the "tins". She often includes Nana, Papa, Gampa and Gampa (she doesn't say "Grandma"). Taelyn is always at the top of the list. Then, she starts looking around the room to fill the space. "Tank you por my pillow. Tank you por my aminal book. Tank you por my soos." Hilarious!

She also adds syllables to certain words, and it cracks me up. She is so precise in her pronunciation. Some of the ones that I can remember off the top of my head: Tae-a-lyn, safe-a-ly

She says Dora (as in Dora the Explorer) as D-D-D-D-D-Dora. "Mom, I want to watch D-D-D-D-D-Dora."

* * *

My mom was cleaning and conquering some of the piles in her house. She found the Mother's Day cards that Austin and Macy made for me. Since I was in the hospital, the kids went to church with my parents. In Primary, they had some cards made with the beginning of the sentence and the kids filled in the blank. I'd like to share some of my favorites.

First, from Austin:
My mom is so smart, she even knows...the capital of Texas.
My mom is as beautiful as a...pony.
My mom is really good at...sowing. (I don't sew, but I do occasionally "sow".)
I like it when my mom...gets me toys.

And from Macy:
My mom is special because...she fixes me dinner every day.
My mom is really good at...washing the clothes.
My mom is so smart, she even knows...how to fold clothes.
My mom is as beautiful as a...unicorn. (Apparently I resemble some sort of a horse.)

* * *

Spencer and Kade are now crazy with the rolling, and they both prefer to sleep on their stomachs (with their faces against the bumper pads which makes me crazy). They have started to try to grab things. They swat at toys and occasionally grasp onto something. Unfortunately, they have discovered something that they both LOVE: their thumbs. They have both been excellent Binkie Babies, but the thumb seems to make them happier. I put them down with the bink, but more often than not, I come back to find them asleep, binkie spit out, thumb in the mouth. Greg is up in arms. He insists that I am not doing enough to thwart this new found passion. I try; I really do. Whenever I see a thumb, I pull it out and try to convince them that the binkie is better. But, honestly, I can only spend so many hours a day on Project Thumb Intervention.

8 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Those thumb pictures are too sweet! How can you thwart such preciousness!

Austin sounds like a great big brother . . . changing diapers, teaching sister new tricks! All in the day of a big brother. ;)

Heather said...

Oh we really do need to get together. I am always telling Ethan he "is slower than molasses in winter." Clarissa used the grandpa & grandpas house line too! My favorite part of prayers at our house is when Clarissa says "thankful to bless the food." How fun that kids do such fun and similar things. Your boys are beautiful & although I too hate the thumb thing I don't think I could refuse it when they look so sweet that way :)

Marianne said...

That's so funny that they both suck thumbs. It's no use trying to get them to stop. Both my kids are finger suckers and once they found them there was no going back. Good luck with that.

Amber said...

Your kids are seriously the funniest kids I know! Ok, I'm tired of trying to find a "perfect" time to come visit you and your twins. I'll just show up at your house next week- consider yourself warned!!

Jackie said...

Love those pics! Why would you want to thwart that thumb sucking? Then their "binkie" never gets lost! Tell Greg you are being thrifty and saving money by not spending it on binks. ;-)

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe how much older the baby boys look! Wow. Always love the stories about your kids....so cute. I'm sorry but the apple thing made me burst out with laughter.

Alexie said...

Cheer up! At least it's just "apple" and not the f word. ;o)

Lindsay said...

I always wanted a thumb sucker, is that crazy? It's just too cute to me, and much easier than searching for a binky, ANY binky at 3 am.

Your Austin stories remind me so much of Jameson. I would love to see how those two would interact...